Boesmani rainbows and discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i have 6 boesmani rainbows in my tank with some loaches and neon tetras in my 65gal planted tank. i thought i have done a complete research on the rainbows before i added them. what i didn't know is that they eat like pigs and will outcompete most of my fish if they get really hungry. they are still juvies, i'm not sure if that has to do with the outrageous appetite. i'm looking forward to add some discus into the tank and my research suggests that they're quite peaceful and would get out-compete for food if other tank mates are aggressive when it comes to feeding. I've seen other hobbyists keeping rainbows with discus without a problem though. Any suggestions or insight? i really want discus and rainbows together though

I keep 3 bosemanis with 6 discus and they get along just fine :) Been together about 6 months. However, the discus ARE larger.

i understand that discus are larger. it's just that i was really surprised by how voraciously the rainbows eat. i just don't want to stress out the discus if i do get them.

no no, I meant my discus specifically. I would only worry if you were adding discus fry, or young discus. :)

oh, i don't plan on keeping discus fry. i am aware that discus fry require multiple feedings of quality food everyday. i plan to have some semi-adult to adult discus.

I'd watch the yoyo loaches because I have heard some people say that they will behave aggressively. In my experience they "clean my fish like a cleaner wrasse. Your discus may get stressed so watch for that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom