Bog wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willthare2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I'm from the UK and bog wood is so expensive so I wondered is it posibal and safe to use wood from the woods if I strip it, boil it then bake it for half hour or so. ??

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use stuff from a creek in my backyard. I try to use only the wood that's been in the water. I just scrub it down a little and soak it if it looks nasty. If it looks good and clean I just throw it in. I don't know about stuff laying on the ground. If you want just try soaking it and if it stays nice and dosent fall apart then you should be alright.

Local Driftwood

Hey I'm from the UK and bog wood is so expensive so I wondered is it posibal and safe to use wood from the woods if I strip it, boil it then bake it for half hour or so. ??

Hello will...

You can use local pieces. Just rinse them well and remove any loose pieces. No need to boil, there's nothing on them that will harm your fish. You will need to weigh them down with rocks. Just pick some up when you get the driftwood.

B

Thanks all I fort it wouldn't hurt but alot of people say it's really bad lol. I also have an old bit of wood from my old lizard that should be ok aswell I guess. Cheers all

I picked up some about 3 month ago now that I boiled and has now been soaking since it came out of the pot. So around 3 months so that I could be sure that it was safe for my tank and that it wouldn't grow things or leach any tannins. I can't wait to add it to the tank in a couple of days. Mainly if you are going to use wild wood is to make sure you take your time and make sure it's safe. A lot of people say not to boil but I always boil it helps the wood become saturated and sink well.

The old bit of wood I have is java wood I bought it about 6 years ago would that be safe because it would look amazing? Cheers for all of you input and advice

Back
Top Bottom