Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Arshis Send a message via Yahoo to Arshis
Boiled alive

Today my water heater from Aqua Gardens decided to boil my fish alive.
I usualy keep the 300 watt heater on 79deg but today while I was gone "new years day" my heater decided to break and turn the water into a staggering 93ish deg; I lost a cute lil newt, 2 out of 3 jade cory, my pink convict and my blue channel catfish, may they rest in peace

yes I emailed them lets see if they do anything about it

I have tropical fish anyone know if my south american fish will be only a few days without a water heater i keep the house around 70 usualy

Old 01-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I would say probably not a good idea. If you keep it at 70, the tank will generally be a few degrees cooler than the room. At least that's what I noticed when I cycled without fish and was waiting for my new heater to arrive in the mail. Might be better if you bumped the temp up to around 75, then the tank should stay above 70 I would think. Then get a heater ASAP.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
The convicts would have liked it warmer than the low 70s...probably the best idea in a large tank is to have two smaller heaters so taht a failure of either one won't be as dangerous.

Sorry about your fish
Old 01-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Sorry to hear about your fish. That is so sad. I keep 2 heaters on my big tank, it's unlikely both will blow at the same time.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, live, oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com