boiled betta?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElanaJoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I think I just killed my betta. I mean she IS dead, but the part I'm not sure about is if it's my fault. I had been treating her for velvet with Copper green. (Not a toxic level, very careful measurements.) I had read in one of these places that higher heat is good for treating velvet, and they can stand temps up to the high 80s. I had some dish towels around the tank for insulation and darkness. It was getting warm this morning, so I propped open the lid and made it looser... but it was a hot day. I should have unplugged the heater. Her health was bad, she has been laying at the bottom for over a week now, and barely any app. Anyways, I checked on her tonight, and she was dead. At first I figured she finally gave in to her illness, but then I saw how warm the water was. it was 94.5 degrees! It was probably high 80's earlier today. She died with her head arched back slightly, gills open. I'm afraid of what you are going to say, I boiled her to death. But I need to know for peace of mind. I have been trying to save her for months since she first became ill. She had perked up a few weeks ago, then declined again worse than before. Maybe I speeded up an inevitable death...? Opinions please. :(

What is "velvet" in terms of ? I have a betta that is leaning to it's side after mailing...is that a symptom?

Sorry for your loss :( so sad.

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom