Boiling Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've boiled the same piece twice. The first time, for 20 minutes, the second time, for 3-4 hours. It's still growing mystery fungus or growth on one end. What next? I have a bristle mouth pleco that hangs out on other parts of the wood, so I hate to do anything to nasty to it.

48 hours salt bath (plain aquarium salt). Then boil it for an hour to make sure you are satisfied that you won't get salt in your tank water...heck you could even soak it for another 24 hours in regular treated water just to be sure.

Any driftwood I see inland in the streams around here has lots of growth on it of various types. Any driftwood that is on the beach at the outlet of the stream where it has had a chance to sit in the salt water will have absolutely nothing on it.

I used a salt bath on mine (I had one with a nasty growth on it but I like the size and design regardless).

It is the boiling itself that causes the fungus, by killing off the bacteria that keep it at bay. The best thing to do is just occasionally scrub it off, but I don't think it harms anything in the tank. Over time it will go away as bacteria take over. This is why I don't generally boil it, but just soak it for a couple of weeks, changing the water with hot, hot water about twice a day.

TankGirl said:
It is the boiling itself that causes the fungus, by killing off the bacteria that keep it at bay. The best thing to do is just occasionally scrub it off, but I don't think it harms anything in the tank. Over time it will go away as bacteria take over. This is why I don't generally boil it, but just soak it for a couple of weeks, changing the water with hot, hot water about twice a day.

I thought it was that the driftwood is not completely devoid of soft organic material and this gives a food source for fungus. I boiled mine for a very long time (in addition to the salt bath) and have yet to see any fungus (I think it has been over a month). What bacteria is there that keeps fungus from growing? I thought fungus would usually attack bacteria to keep bacteria from growing. I know I can put a piece of "algae wafer" in a tank and have fungus on it after a week while it never grows fungus in the bag.

I am no expert on the biology of it, and I wish I knew more how it happens, but anecdotal evidence suggests that when the wood has been boiled vigorously the white fungus often appears. This has been the common denominator when I have talked to people who have the problem (pretty common, because most people boil driftwood when they can). It may be that salt was the limiting factor in fungus growth for you, patryuji, but I certainly don't know, and I don't think that every piece of boiled aquarium driftwood is definitely going to grow white stuff, but "when you hear hoofbeats coming down the road, you think horses, not zebras."

Here is an excerpt taken from the Floridadriftwood.com site:

About Fungus

Sometimes when an enthusiast brings driftwood home, the temptation to boil it before adding it to their aquarium becomes too great to ignore. When they do this, they sterilize the wood and leave it vulnerable to fungal colonization. If this happens, do not panic! Two things to note:

1. This fungus is harmless to both fish and plants. In fact, many fish will seek it out to eat it. Yes, it looks unplesant but boiling the driftwood again and again to get rid of it is futile. This just restarts the cycle of colonization.

2. This fungus is temporary. Once the natural bacteria in your aquarium have a chance to get a foothold, they will colonize the driftwood and out compete the fungus. The fungus will then seem to disappear; almost overnight.

Mine kept growing, and it was a fuzzy, strung out brown growth that clings to the wood, but hung off drifting in the current.

I would just pick it off, or take it out and give it a scrub with a new, clean brush once a week or so. Over time this really should stop, and the pleco does need the wood

Back
Top Bottom