Bolivian Ram Care Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 40b with a Juvenile Angelfish and two Bolivian Rams. These are the only fish in the tank. I tried to get a Male and female, but I'm pretty sure I ended up with two males. They do squabble a bit, but no injuries that I have observed.

In your opinion, what is my best course of action? The way I see it I can leave it as is, try to add some females, or rehome a male and get a female.

I had 4 males at one point, they bickered during feedings, they all eventually found a territory and didnt much bother each other.

@Laser
Your title caught my eye.

Bolivians one of my favorite. I have breed and raised hundreds and still only about 50% correct sexing them. I recently sent a trio to a member on another forum. We both thought they were all males. Turns out 2 have paired up and spawned. Just goes to show you how difficult they are to sex. Can you describe the type of behavior your seeing and try to get pics and post maybe someone here has an idea. In the interim I found this awhile back with some examples of male/female. Not sure where but it might help.

*Disclaimer - Not my Pic used for Informational discussion purpose only*
Bolivian-Butterfly-Sexing-400x482.jpg

Good Luck!

Thanks, I'll try to post a video of them sometime this weekend.

They won't really fight if I'm observing from too close, so I can't really get a good video. They will occasionally lock lips and pull on each other. It's strange to me that there is enough territory that they could split it, but they both usually stay within range of each other. They both seem to have male features when comparing them to the photos that you provided. However, only one of them has the red filament of the tail that trails off slightly, the other one's tail is even.

With my pair they both have the tail filaments. The female is the larger, the male does color up more during the breeding ritual. My pair do lock lips but the juveniles I have raised do also. I call it sparring, it is a site to behold. No real damage, As mentioned I along with others are 50% correct on the sexing. Individual pics of each, would allow a better opportunity at guessing.
What size are they, approx. age? They can start breeding around 6 months.

Good Luck!

I was able to get this photo, but they seem to hide anytime I take my phone out. They aren't afraid of me otherwise. :lol:

Attachments

• 20190816_190839.jpg
    20190816_190839.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 109
LOL,
Yep, most of my fish are used to me staring at them, but bring out the phone or camera and they are shy. They are getting used to it. But the best photos come when I am a few feet away and zoom in. Works for me.
Still no idea of the sex.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom