Bolivian Ram hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
My ram has been hiding in a cave all day for the past week or so, he comes out to eat for a short time but goes back to the cave. Anyone have an idea why he could be doing this? My water parameters are normal as well.

Stock
x5 Black Skirt Tetras
x3 Algazzsi Cory
x1 Yoy Loach
x1 Chinese Algae Eater

Yeah, it's a good chance that he's just making that his territory, none of the other stock are aggressive though the tetras are kind of active so maybe thats the case?

How long have you had him?

Yeah, it's a good chance that he's just making that his territory, none of the other stock are aggressive though the tetras are kind of active so maybe thats the case?

How long have you had him?

Had him for around 2 months or so. He used to sit by the filter column all day but now its the cave.

You may want to get another of the opposite sex. I have been told they do better in pairs. They kind of rely on each other to see if it safe or not. They also look to fish smaller than them swimming to check to see if its safe. You can google "dither fish" to read more about this.

Lol so basically they are scaredy cats. That would make sense though because when I only had 1 black skirt tetra they used to hang pretty close to each other. I don't think my tank will be able to house another ram though.

Is this the 20 gallon in your profile? If so, then you should be able to add another ram. If so, then you'll need to rearrange your tank decor to break up all territories.

That's kind of odd because I bought a Bolivian ram about 3 weeks ago and he's all over the place, but he only stays on the bottom/lower part of the tank. He rarely goes to the top but he swims all over the place on the bottom and I have 9 tetras including black skirts. He gets along with everyone and no one has tried to nip or pick at him and vise versa.

I don't normally see anyone mess with him, occasionally the chiense algae eater will chase him for a second but stops at the cave. Thinking I might try and find a new home for the algae eater, Ill have to eventually regardless.

That's kind of odd because I bought a Bolivian ram about 3 weeks ago and he's all over the place, but he only stays on the bottom/lower part of the tank. He rarely goes to the top but he swims all over the place on the bottom and I have 9 tetras including black skirts. He gets along with everyone and no one has tried to nip or pick at him and vise versa.

He used to swim around, but lately it's only been in the cave.

Lol so basically they are scaredy cats. That would make sense though because when I only had 1 black skirt tetra they used to hang pretty close to each other. I don't think my tank will be able to house another ram though.

LOL sort of. I prefer to think of them as smarter than the others. They think hey let me see if that fish gets eaten or not. Ok he hasnt so it must be safe.

Back
Top Bottom