Bolivian Ram Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tonight I picked up two Bolivian rams:) I've never kept them and I have a question: every once in awhile, they will face each other and 'kiss' no other obvious signs of aggression. Do I have a male/female pair? Or is it just a new tank/territory thing? I can tell them apart because one has 2 black spots and the other had 1 black spot on each side. Thanks.

Thats typically a sign of males figuring out territory. Sometimes females will lip lock, but not nearly as much.

I don't know if I have male or female rams yet, but they do this occasionally. I find it odd that they want to be together in the tank when they have room to go their own ways, yet they still have little skirmishes.

I now think I have 2 males. They have staked out different sides of the tank. For the most part, they stay away from each other. It's funny, the ghost shrimp I have with them are the troublemakers.

Yep, thats classic male behavior. They do the lip locking to figure out who is in charge, but then mostly keep to themselves in their own areas.

Ok thanks, I will monitor for any major aggression. They both seem to be in charge of there own group of kuhlii loachs and shrimp lol.

absolutangel04 said:
Lol. They should be fine, I have kept as many as 3 males together and I never had an issue from them.

Ok wow. I wouldn't want to keep 3 males together.

Ya never trust a woman ;) they'll get you one way or the other.

I think if there's enough caves/etc they'll establish their own zones and you'll be fine

Not to hijack this thread, but while we are on the subject is it better to spread the caves out or make a cluster of them?

I hope this thread still interests the author. As far as Bolivian ram goes, major pet stores carry about 2-3 males for every female to limit reproduction. I got my first 3 Bolivian Ram and they were all males apparently he he he. The Bolivian ram that was in charge was too aggressive(wouldn't fight but he would chase them). Be careful though, once they settle down, they are sweet little hearts! Not only do they have beautiful colors, but they also have the best personality in the thank, I just love them. they will swim in front of the tank while your doing something near it.

Not to hijack this thread, but while we are on the subject is it better to spread the caves out or make a cluster of them?

You could although they like staying together, and don't really nee caves(in my tank they don't all have caves.)

Its better to spread out caves. That gives the rams distinct territories to set up and decreases the likelihood of conflict.

Carlitouus said:
I hope this thread still interests the author. As far as Bolivian ram goes, major pet stores carry about 2-3 males for every female to limit reproduction. I got my first 3 Bolivian Ram and they were all males apparently he he he. The Bolivian ram that was in charge was too aggressive(wouldn't fight but he would chase them). Be careful though, once they settle down, they are sweet little hearts! Not only do they have beautiful colors, but they also have the best personality in the thank, I just love them. they will swim in front of the tank while your doing something near it.

No, your ok. I'm still interested :) just trying to learn all I can about these fish.

Tetra 1990 - How big is your tank? I am thinking of adding a couple fish and was looking at Bolivian Rams

Russ359 said:
Tetra 1990 - How big is your tank? I am thinking of adding a couple fish and was looking at Bolivian Rams

It's a 29 US gallon. Here is a pic of my tank.

Attachments

• image-1741711490.jpg
    image-1741711490.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 68
No prob, it's a work in progress. I want to add more live plants and some terra cotta pots. Btw, my two rams share the tank with 4 kuhli loaches and some ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom