Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am considering a pair of Bolivian Rams for my 63 gallon community tank. Would they be considered good tank mates with Angels, Clown Loaches, BN Pleco, a Rainbow Shark, a Golden Gourami & Rummynose Tetra?

To me it sounds good. But the clown loach needs a bigger tank. And the rainbow shark can be aggressive so I've heard. So watch for that. And when they breed they can get really aggressive ( the bolivians). But other then that it sounds good IMO.

seekinghealth said:
To me it sounds good. But the clown loach needs a bigger tank. And the rainbow shark can be aggressive so I've heard. So watch for that. And when they breed they can get really aggressive ( the bolivians). But other then that it sounds good IMO.

Thanks. My Rainbow is pretty mellow & only occasionally chases my Gourami (which strangely the Gourami seems to like!)

Ya they're all different. Haha I had one like yours that was part of the family. I just learned a few days ago they can be really mean. Haha

Even though they can get a foot long, are happier in schools, and they are recommended for a 75G or more.

The difference from a 55G and a 75G is i believe 5'' in width. I'm pretty sure a 63 is fine, atleast IMO. The only problem i see is that if the 63 is less than 48'' in length but i can't say for sure.

The Clowns are in a school of 4 and are great company for each other. My 63 gallon is 48 long, so I'm pretty comfortable that it's going to accommodate them happily in the long term.

48'' long is perfect. To answer your original question i think the pair will be fine but if they do spawn they will be aggressive to anybody who swims near their eggs. You might find them in an all out battle with the shark since they both tend to be at the bottom of the aquarium.

But the best thing is we all love fish! (Off subject..) but I agree about the rams in the tank

Maybe it's just my tank or my fish as I have seen many posts where people have angels and rams coexisting peacefully, but My 55g had two angels, 6 cherry barbs, 1 featherfin cat, and 1 albino pleco and I added 3 blue rams and the angels just would not leave them alone so they got moved to bros 75. Now all is peaceful again. Just my 2 cents.

I am considering a pair of Bolivian Rams for my 63 gallon community tank. Would they be considered good tank mates with Angels, Clown Loaches, BN Pleco, a Rainbow Shark, a Golden Gourami & Rummynose Tetra?

I vote no. I noticed you said angel"s", so I'm assumming you have more than one. It's possible that they could pair up, and there are two cichlid pairs in there, which seems like quite a bit of aggression. Second, IMO bolivian rams stay at the bottom, which is where the rainbow shark is as well. I've heard too many horror stories about rainbow sharks attacking other fish so I would not risk it.

Just my two cents.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I vote no. I noticed you said angel"s", so I'm assumming you have more than one. It's possible that they could pair up, and there are two cichlid pairs in there, which seems like quite a bit of aggression. Second, IMO bolivian rams stay at the bottom, which is where the rainbow shark is as well. I've heard too many horror stories about rainbow sharks attacking other fish so I would not risk it.

Just my two cents.

Ya I didn't see the angel(s) he has a good point on that one. Unless they were both female, which I have no idea how to sex them, then I wouldn't have two pairs in there. As for the rainbow shark it all depends. Like I said I had a rainbow shark who loved everyone. He even sometimes schooled with my guppies.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I bought two Bolivian Rams today & added them to the tank this afternoon. They are pretty hard to sex, but the guy in the store was pretty sure they are both male, so less likely to pair up. They were quite shy at first, but have really mixed in well.

Everyone seems very chilled with each other, even at feeding time there were no problems. My rainbow is very mellow and has been swimming around with them & funnily enough the only thing that has chased either of them was a single Rummynose Tetra, which looked hilarious! My Angels have shown no interest in them at all, which is unusual for them.

Only time will tell, but I suppose every fish is different & I'll see what happens & if things don't go well I will move them to another one of my tanks. Sometimes the fish with an aggressive reputation turn out to be mellow (my red tail shark in one of my other tanks is a classic example. Very chilled out shark!)

Bolivians have settled in very well & all is peaceful in the tank.

One weird bit of behaviour is that one of my Rummynose Tetra has become obsessed with one of the Rams. He swims underneath the Ram, shadowing him for a few minutes, then returns to his shoal, only to return a few minutes later. It's quite sweet to watch :)

Back
Top Bottom