Bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rick050

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have had a pair of rams for about two months now both male and they have always bickerd with one and other but nothing to bad. A friend also has rams and they do the same have a random peck at each other after a stand off giving the similar behavior with both my and his rams is this a Bolivian ram thing or is it the alpha male thing any advice or info would be appreciated cheers in advance

Well if indeed theyre both males then its natural for them to do this. 2 males dont want each other around as in a natural enviroment a female could come along at any time. That being said male and female rams can bicker also.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a male and a female and they do the same thing. They swim together for the most part but usually bicker during feeding time.

They will also bicker if one comes around the corner and startles the other.

And by doing this they aren't going to harm each other are they ? Because it does look pretty violent lol

Well do they have visible damage? It has the possibility of ending badly

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have had a pair of rams for about two months now both male and they have always bickerd with one and other but nothing to bad. A friend also has rams and they do the same have a random peck at each other after a stand off giving the similar behavior with both my and his rams is this a Bolivian ram thing or is it the alpha male thing any advice or info would be appreciated cheers in advance

Depending on the tank size I would get some females in there. Right now it's like a meat locker in there. The men need ladies. By allowing them to be housed like that you are asking for trouble with the fish. Stress is a quick way for a fish to become ill. Your fish are fighting for dominance. Unless you have a really large tank with lots of hiding you always want more females then males good luck with your fish.

As it Goes I'm going to my local pet store today to have a look I will take your advice and look for two females there isn't any obvious damage no but as I say it does look pretty brutal when they start cheers

Back
Top Bottom