Bolivian rams eating assassin snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Specialk302

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I come home from work and sit next to one of my fish tanks to enjoy it and thats when BOOM! I see one of my Bolivian rams trying to suck out my assassin snail out of his shell like escargot !???? Has anyone else seen that?? I'm pretty sure he's dead cuz the shell hasn't moved since I saw my Bolivian ram attack item and the messed up thing is my assassin snail was on top of another assassin snail prolly doing something grown up's do. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rip assassin snail

Attachments

• 1415755539229.jpg
    1415755539229.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 118
Yeah its crazy. I never seen that before. I think I just got a grouchy ram.

Was he eating a dead snail or did he kill it? Pecking at a dead snail would be more common.

No there were 2 assassin snails stuck to each other and he grabbed one and while the other one was connected.

Perhaps thought how dare they in my presence and went into attack mode.......RIP AS

Their scientific name includes the word geophagus, meaning eartheater. Maybe that is part of their diet. Not sure, but it might be that.

Mine too

My Bolivians also attack the trunk of my assassins. They haven't killed any yet, but the rams are still pretty small. They haven't touched any of the other type of snails in the tank, or the shrimp. I think the trunk acts like a lure.

Perhaps thought how dare they in my presence and went into attack mode.......RIP AS

That's what I was thinking. But the only problem is I have a black sail fin Molly named "The Don" and he's the only one that calls the shots in my tank to take people out. But my Bolivian rams aka " drug runners" are supposed to do only that between my tanks. And my assassin snails are supposed to only do that, assassinate. I'm thinking there's some kind of change of power going on with my tank so I might have to talk to "The Don" to see what's going on.

Assasins snails reproduce like hell when they have the required food. It's just a part of the nature, maybe you'll see a lot more assasins snails... I have thousands of them in my freshwater tanks :p

Back
Top Bottom