Bolivian Rams Lip Locking???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone...Im just wondering if my rams are fighting or pre-mating. I know these are male and female because they have had fry before. The fry made it in the community tank for like 8-9 days before vanishing one night. I cant figure a reason they would start showing aggression at this point...but Ive never had bolivians before.
They live in a 55 gallon community planted tank that is currently understocked. Parameters are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrate and pH 7.6. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

It's a dominance thing and it's normal to an extent. It usually lasts a few seconds then they part ways. Just keep an eye on them. Give them plenty of hiding /cool down spots. If worse comes worse, separation or rehoming may be needed.

It is normal, my rams and angels both do it. It's a way for them to test if a the other is a strong and healthy choice for a mate. As long as there is not real damage to one fish I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy seeing an act of nature. It can sometimes be a little brutal to watch, as humans we would never think to wrestle our prospective mates, but fish are not humans. Though I think bars would be more fun if we did act like them haha

Back
Top Bottom