Bonsai tree as driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojo75931

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, I have a dead bonsai tree and I would like to use it as driftwood and recreate a bonsai moss tree. I know it is some kind of pine tree, I heard it is poisonus but since it is dead for a while would it be ok to use? Do I need to spray like polyurethane to keep it from rotten.?

Sent from my D6503 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi guys, I have a dead bonsai tree and I would like to use it as driftwood and recreate a bonsai moss tree. I know it is some kind of pine tree, I heard it is poisonus but since it is dead for a while would it be ok to use? Do I need to spray like polyurethane to keep it from rotten.?

If it is a pine bonsai, then absolutely not !!! It's softwood and very dangerous to your water babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I wouldn't bother jo.. it's such a delicate Eco system something like that could smash it like a pumpkin on Halloween.. i really like the idea though. Someone is selling dead bonsai in the classifieds and I want I want!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as it's not a sappy type of bonsai or a soft wood I don't see a reason not to tbh. Just let it dry out and cure for quite a long time and it should be good to go.

I'll test it in the breeder 1st and see if it changes the pH or anything. My dad said its a type of Pine... sooo yeah.
@brookster YEAH MAN I looked at and got the idea from him.

My dad has 2 dead one. Sooo yeah idk what I should dooo it looks soooo tempting

I'll test it in the breeder 1st and see if it changes the pH or anything. My dad said its a type of Pine... sooo yeah.
@brookster YEAH MAN I looked at and got the idea from him.

My dad has 2 dead one. Sooo yeah idk what I should dooo it looks soooo tempting

If it's a type of pine then generally it's a bad idea. I've heard of people turning their tanks to soup using pine driftwood because of all the sap.

Hahah, my fissedens would look killer on one of those!

Dang it! Man I sooo want one of those :( too bad he's selling at 65. And idk how big it is. Nothing much you can do in a 12 gallon long. Btw @Brookster I'm getting bad algae. Its like longgggggg green soft algae. Shouldn't the co2 take care of it?

Oh geez, have you seen my 20tall? Natural light is my only guess, that's my problem anyways. .

Dang it! Man I sooo want one of those :( too bad he's selling at 65. And idk how big it is. Nothing much you can do in a 12 gallon long. Btw @Brookster I'm getting bad algae. Its like longgggggg green soft algae. Shouldn't the co2 take care of it?

Try starting a thread about it :)

I did but I was ignored :-(
@ lol nope I did not, I guess the Finnex Planted is too intensed and promote algae booo

What do you do for fertilizers and how long do you leave the lights on? What type of co2 do you use?

Fert I use diy root tabs.
Pressure CO2
Micro/macro doses
Co2 8 hours light was 8hours now 6 bc I think the intensity of the light is high and being on for 8 hours makes algae crazy, I might be wrong.

My other hobby is woodworking... you could set the pitch in a resinous softwood - like "pine"- by air drying it for 6 months or so and then heating to 160 for 2 hours in an oven.

You'd of coarse want to be very careful and not leave it unattended. Google kiln drying wood in an oven for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@John wow 6 months? I think it died like around 5-6 months. He still has it in a pot with dirt and stuff but the whole tree died bc he spray gasoline on it by accident.

Lol i'll just leave it as it is. And let he do whatever he wants.

Back
Top Bottom