books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know there is a "library" section on this site, but I'm looking for something more specific. I'm finding myself spending countless hours on the internet looking up information on my fish. I'm a beginner, so I just have mollies and guppies. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good book about either of these, preferebly mollies, but I don't care. Like, for example, if you've looked at/read a book, was it good or not? I'm probably gong to go to half.com or amazon.com and get a used version, just wanted to know if anyone had any good opinions on books to look at?

Thanks so much! I've asked a lot of questions on here, and you've alwasy been so helpful.

Check out the TFH website. Darn near all the fish books are published by TFH publications, the makers of Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine. Tons of book adds in the back of that magazine too.
I have a variety of livebearer books, none of them have been "oh wow" books, but each has something the others don't. So I don't have any specific recomendation, but since most cost in the $7 to $15 range, start collecting them?

lol, alright. I was actually looking into getting a subscription to the Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine. If nothing else, it'd be interesting. I found one from an online magazine seller, who I"ve gotten subscriptions from before, for like 15.00. That magazine is also on ebay for like 9.00, but I don't really know how comfortable I'd be getting a magazine subscription from ebay...

I don't really know how comfortable I'd be getting a magazine subscription from ebay...

I've done it, but only once. No problems, but certainly, caveat emptor...

If I was in your place, I'd try it, since you're only out $9 (but learn a lesson) if it doesn't go well... Whereas, if it does well you get (almost) 2:1 on the mag... But, as always, up to you....

Might as well give the subscription a shot - I mean even if it doesn't work out you'll only be out $9, right?
One thing I have found that works for me in finding books is I first make a trip to my library in town and look at the books there -- when I find one I like I can then start searching bookstores or online (I like the fact they are cheaper online) for the same book and get my own copy. I also do this with actual bookstores sometimes -- I don't like buying books online unless I *KNOW* I like the book so I'll admit to having gone to the bookstore and looked through all their copies only to come home and order one online for less $$$$ :oops:

Back
Top Bottom