Boom Shaka Laka to the Nitrites!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry about the topic heading, I couldnt think of anything else catchy :lol: Anyways, I went to my LFS the other day and was talking to the manager there, he recommended this "pillow" thing that you put in your filter and it removes the nitrites in 48 hours. Well tonite was the 48th hour, and i checked my levels about 25 minutes ago... zero!!! woo hoo!! also i checked my hardness, softness, ammonia - all in the perfect range. SOB, i was so happy. hehe. I just put the "pillow" thing back in its original container with 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt with water and then its safe until next time i need it (hopefully never). I did realize that now my fish are so much more active than before, since the nitrites were past 5.0 ppm for more than 3 weeks. Im glad I added alittle aquarium salt to that their gills didnt get damaged... at least too much.
Thanks again guys (and gals) :D

Diddo. What is this product called I never heard of it. unless you mean filter media like carbon or something??

Chris.

The product is called aquarium pharmaceuticals Dr Wellfish Water Softener pillow. You take out your filter media, in my case "bio bags" and put the pillow in its place for 48 hours. My nitrites went from probably about 4-5.0 to ZERO! all my other tests (ammonia, ph, dkh, gh,) are all in the perfect range now. My fish are much more active without those nasty nitrites. I love this thing! ok, so i shouldnt have went that far, but it is a kewl product. 8)

Do you mean Nitirite or Nitrate?

I know that there really isn't a 2 day fix for Nitrite. It will return until the cycling process is complete. There is however, Nitrate remover that work quite well in most applications...

anyway, congrats on your success

Did i say nitr"a"te anywhere in my topic? didnt think so. :p Nitrite, with an I, is and has been gone for three days now and is, from 25 minutes ago, testing zero. All my other levels (ammonia, hardness, acidity, ph) are all perfect. Im sure my tank is done cycling anyways, its been almost 2 months and my ammonia has been zero for about 3 1/2 weeks now. With that being said, I am going to the LFS to buy a few more fish (paradise fish maybe?) or maybe some live plants. Ive heard anacharis is generally a good aquarium plant, any comments?

anacharis, although you can bunch it together, is rather leggy and not too attractive by itself. I could never get it to stay together in a group, tried banding, sinking, all kinds of stuff. My cats, pleco and BGK would continually yank it up and it would be floating and clogging filtration..the plant does grow fast tho.

I use Dr. Wellfish's water softner pillows to reduce the GH of my tank. We have really hard water up here.

im going to try this pillow......

sorry to bring up an old thread :)

i just didnt know what to do about my HIGH HIGH HIGH nitrItes!

i hope this works :)

Back
Top Bottom