Bored Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevabear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my betta for a couple weeks now. He tends to always be hanging out tucked behind the filter up at the top of the tank. When I come in he will follow my finger and swim around a little bit, but I never walk in to find him swimming around on his own, always just tucked away and hidden. I've just read about changing things outside his tank for him to look at and investigate, showing him a mirror occationally, ping pong balls, and changing location of his tank, not gonna happen... Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to keep him more active and not hidden all the time? I did just set a little dog statue outside his tank and he seems quite interested in that.. Thanks for any thoughts you might have. I don't want him to be bored. :fish2:

I found that my half moon loved this little chest. They also love real or silk plants with big leaves.
There are pics on my profile.

Thanks for your input CoryFan. I will get some big leaved plants for him. I brought him home a moss ball today, he lost interest in that fairly quickly. Someone at a pet store told me today to try taking the filter out, he doesn't really need it. So I did that, he does seem more active, and not back hiding. I also read about putting a ping pong ball in there for him. Gonna give that a try too!

kevabear said:
Thanks for your input CoryFan. I will get some big leaved plants for him. I brought him home a moss ball today, he lost interest in that fairly quickly. Someone at a pet store told me today to try taking the filter out, he doesn't really need it. So I did that, he does seem more active, and not back hiding. I also read about putting a ping pong ball in there for him. Gonna give that a try too!

Bettas do still need filteration but maybe the filter current is too strong for him. You could try using a sponge filter or try soften the filter output by using a sponge over it

kevabear said:
I've had my betta for a couple weeks now. He tends to always be hanging out tucked behind the filter up at the top of the tank. When I come in he will follow my finger and swim around a little bit, but I never walk in to find him swimming around on his own, always just tucked away and hidden. I've just read about changing things outside his tank for him to look at and investigate, showing him a mirror occationally, ping pong balls, and changing location of his tank, not gonna happen... Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to keep him more active and not hidden all the time? I did just set a little dog statue outside his tank and he seems quite interested in that.. Thanks for any thoughts you might have. I don't want him to be bored. :fish2:

What size tank & is it heated? Bettas are tropical & their water should be 78-80F, if the water is too cool he won't be as active. I know when mine went from 1g containers to 10g tanks they became much more active. What do you have in the tank? Mine up have real and/or silk plants with cave structures & they explore all of it. My male crown tail does like to hang out behind the heater from time to time. My HOB filters are baffled with the water bottle trick which helps.

You're welcome!

Yes, a slow-current is huge! You definitely should try the sponge filter. They are soft and inexpensive. Easy to clean too. :)

It is a five gallon, according to the profile.

Yes it is a five gallon. The filtration system is part of the tank, I will see if I can slow it with a sponge. There is a heater, the water is about 82 degrees. He seems pretty active this morning. I have five live plants, a little statue, a small garden pot, moss ball, and a castle that he can go behind. Also one of those plastic leaves that stick to the side. Last night I put a florescent plastic plant in there and let it float. He seemed really curious about that, will probably take it out today and put it in at a later time for him to investigate again. Thank you all so much for your input.

If you can find a small water sprite plant and either plant it or float it that would be great. Water sprite is a betta's favorite plant and when floated he will build bubble nests in it and spend alot of time messing with it. Plus it's great for keeping your water quality up by absorbing excess nutrients.

You said you've had him for a couple weeks. Was the filter properly cycled before hand? It usually takes about 2 months for a filter to properly establish itself. A lethargic betta might be a sign of poor water conditions, particularly high ammonia/nitrite. Hiding behind a filter is a classic sign of a betta hiding from current though, so you should look into that as well.

Assuming good water conditions, you might try antagonizing him with a mirror for a few minutes at a time a few times a day. This will trick the fish into thinking that there is another betta in his territory, encouraging him to patrol his territory more.

He is doing much better the past couple days. I did show him a mirror a couple days ago and that did catch his interest. Today it didn't trick him, smart little guy.
I looked for a water sprite today but they didn't have them at the pet store I went to. Are they called something different, like are there different types?

They probably had wisteria, it's not the same as water spite. Water sprite has a much finer lacey leaf.

Mine always seems to perk up when I get new plants. Especially amazon swords that he can hide under the leaves. Try getting a new decoration. Maybe one of the moving air powered ones would catch his attention. Or if you like the more natural look give him a plant with nice big leaves or one that floats.

Back
Top Bottom