Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bored Dwarf Gourami

My dwarf gourami in my 20 gallon long tank spends most of his day pacing against the glass on the front of the tank. I recently added some more decor, it sparked his interest for a couple days but now hes back to pacing. He doesn't seem very aggressive to the other fish, so I was thinking of adding another male dwarf gourami, or would it be better to try to find a female? Otherwise I am not sure what else to do to keep him from being bored.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nah hes not bored he i just happy and relaxed. He is in his routine. But if you want to add another one well thats alright then. What else is in the tank?

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #3

6 neon tetras, 6 white clouds, and 2 otos
Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi,
I have a male Dwarf Gourami and he usually does the same thing. Not tooo much, though. He's very active and will swim around the tank but definitely likes to hang out near walls.
You probably shouldn't add another male- they will likely fight.
Adding females might be a problem too... I've heard of DG's fighting with the females as well.
I'd just leave it alone. I was concerned when my DG looked lonely too, but I recommend that you don't add any more DG's. They become very territorial.

I have a 20 gallon with 5 male Guppies, 6 Neon Tetras, 4 Julii Cories, 1 Dwarf Gourami, and soon 3 Otocinclus Catfish.

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #5

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if his behavior was normal but apparently it is, so I won't add any more.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Good luck!

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome nategi!

I would add more decor. Constantly "dancing" or pacing back and forth on the glass can be a sign of stress.

Edit: Figured I should elaborate. If the fish is almost always against the glass, it is generally because no matter where the fish goes in the aquarium, it can see its reflection in the glass, and goes to investigate. Adding more decor breaks up the tank (try to think from the fish's point of view) so that the fish is visually interested in other things.

The other common reason for constant glass-dancing is the fish trying to rub off something on its scales - but this is a less likely scenario.
taylorodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine did this during the first 2 days but now he seems to have settled in and has stopped the "stressful" behavior. How long have you had yours?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #9

I've had him for about 3-4 weeks I think. I don't really have anymore room in the tank for more decor, but I did break off the plastic branches of a plant and floated them on top of the water so they kind of sink into the tank a little and he seems to like that, and he started sleeping in a cave that I put in the tank. He doesn't seem to be pacing quite as much as he use to but he still does it quite often.

Tags
dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com