Bored F8 Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Figure 8 puffer, Bruce, seems bored all the time. He sticks to the walls of the tank and hardly ever moves away from them. I've tried changing the decor around several times but he just doesn't seem to notice.

Is there any other way to entertain this guy? I'd like for him to start swimming around more, I've had him for about a month and this is all he really does.

He might be sick. Is he in brackish water?
Yes, I keep it between 1.004 and 1.008 so it's only slightly brackish.

He's eating well and is swimming fast. His colors are bright and he's curios about me, just not his tank

Maybe he just needs something to hunt. If you can put a bunch of ghost shrimp in, I'm pretty sure hell utilize his surrounding to catch them.

What kind of filtration do you have? Is it to strong? Maybe to much current, that's why he sticks to the walls.

He's only an inch long so I'd need some pretty small ghost shrimp. I also don't have access to any brackish snails. How long can pond snails last in brackish water? I've bred some him (and by some I mean at least 150).

What kind of filtration do you have? Is it to strong? Maybe to much current, that's why he sticks to the walls.

I don't think it's that. He likes to sleep in the current. Unless he's right under the filter's outlet it's not strong enough to jostle him around.

He's only an inch long so I'd need some pretty small ghost shrimp. I also don't have access to any brackish snails. How long can pond snails last in brackish water? I've bred some him (and by some I mean at least 150).

i don't think the size of the shrimps matters much. i would throw in 10 or so shrimps and watch the hunt begins.

pond snails will tolerate brackish water. in fact there are other members using pond snails in their brackish tank for the puffers

Maybe he just needs something to hunt. If you can put a bunch of ghost shrimp in, I'm pretty sure hell utilize his surrounding to catch them.

This was going to be my suggestion as well.

I had a beautiful figure 8 puffer I kept in straight tap water no salt and he did great I would acclimate him to freshwater and begin feeding clam halves from the lfs along with what u enjoy feeding. Mine would tear at the meat like a pittbull so cool to watch good luck

Attachments

• image-2936460721.jpg
    image-2936460721.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 73
Oh I forgot, people say they are mean and aggressive but I kept mine with a number of different fish and he did great with all of them so maybe he just needs a friend

Oh I forgot, people say they are mean and aggressive but I kept mine with a number of different fish and he did great with all of them so maybe he just needs a friend

I tried to give him a tank mate but he went after them

i don't think the size of the shrimps matters much. i would throw in 10 or so shrimps and watch the hunt begins.

pond snails will tolerate brackish water. in fact there are other members using pond snails in their brackish tank for the puffers

Sweet deal! Some of the babies I have are about the size of a pinhead now. I think I'll get some of them and slowly change them over. Lets see how long it will take Bruce to finish them off!

Back
Top Bottom