Bored with current stock 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright everyone, I have become bored with my current stock. I've had my current fish for over a year and haven't really changed my stocking out at all. I currently have a high tech heavily planted high light 55g tank. I will be switching it out to either a 40 breeder or 75g in about three weeks.

The only things I am dead set on keeping are:

3x Synodontis Petricola
2x Angel fish
3x assorted plecos

Other than that I am up in the air about what to do with my stock.

I currently have / not particularly interested in keeping
Praecox rainbows
Harlequin Rasbora
Cardinal Tetra
Panda Corys

I am also dead set against:
Guppys
Mollies
Platys

Come on and throw some ideas at me! :)

I've recently got fed up of my plain tank, therefore I sold some of my mollies and guppies and brought another angel fish and believe it or not a small spotted puffer fish, costing only me only £6. He's no bigger than 2inches for now and likes to swim around my live plants I've got, he's fine with the other fish even though they're all bigger than him too.. I've also got a few gourami's in my 48litre tank :)

How about...

Apistos
Keyhole cichlids
Denison barbs
Congo tetras

Dwarf cichlids in the genera Nannacara and Laetacara are definitely worth a look as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I agree with Mama and will add I did something totally different that I hadn't done in years with one of my 55g planted tanks by stocking it totally with larger schools/numbers of nano fish. It's like looking at a very active busy section of a stream with tiny fish darting around everywhere.

I agree with Mama and will add I did something totally different that I hadn't done in years with one of my 55g planted tanks by stocking it totally with larger schools/numbers of nano fish. It's like looking at a very active busy section of a stream with tiny fish darting around everywhere.

OP says the angelfish are keepers. Without them, this is a cool idea. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

My Diamond tetra's are about my most favorite fish I keep with my Angels. Not only do they get good sized but their glittering scales look better with more color shimmering in them the older they get. The males dorsal fin also continues to grow and on older males it looks very cool.

Yeah, the angels have to stay :) They are the only new freshwater fish I've bought in the last 6 months or so not counting a betta and my first angels I've ever owned.

I do like the GBRs although I've never personally had luck with them. My lfs also has a couple apistos that were great looking for a decent price as well.

I love the huge school idea. I was thinking something along those lines ever since I saw a huge school of harlequins in a planted tank. The diamond tetras would be a tough find around here though. I would have to drive at least 2 hours to find some. What are some other nice schoolers you would suggest with a pair of marbled angels?

The nannacara and laetacara are both types I've never seen before and looking into them a little bit it seems nearly impossible to find them as well :( Would you have any ideas of places I could check for some?

Hatchet fish do well in large school. If you didn't have much luck with GBR you could get Bolivian rams. They are very hardy. I correctly have Bolivians. Hatchetfish, and angel fish in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom