Bored with Mollies Need New Fish Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be doing daily water changes of 50% until the levels of ammonia and nitrites are 0. Anything above that is not acceptable :( to have fish in the tank. Poor little guys. I hope you get that sorted out soon.

kaiofcanada said:
I would be doing daily water changes of 50% until the levels of ammonia and nitrites are 0. Anything above that is not acceptable :( to have fish in the tank. Poor little guys. I hope you get that sorted out soon.

+1 fish should never have ammo and nitrites over .25

Readings now after pwc:
Ammonia - .25
ph same
no2 / no3 are the same
I dont get it, i dont have time for more then 1 pwc a week, i will just have to make them bigger wc's like 50%? that seems like alot for a weekly pwc but what else can i do

I only missed my pwc schedule by 2 days i didnt think it was a big deal, is it?

If i have to do daily chgs then ill do my best thursday are my off days I work alot. So We will see. I would expect this from an overstocked tank but i hardly have anything in there. Why is my tank giving me such a hard time?

prime just makes the nitrites and ammo harmless. it wont get rid of it. do you have ammo and nitrites in your tap water?? you should have seen a drop of ammo and nitrites bc of the nitrites. and 50% is not alot for a weekly change. i do that much in all my tanks and dont even need to.

Your beginning pH at the top pf this thread seems to be awfully low with having a buffering agent in your filter. Do you have really soft water at the tap? Nitrfying bacteria are not as effective in water with a low pH. That doesn't mean that they don't still do the job, just not as well. Low pH also tends to be more volatile to change.

Your pH seems to have gotten better, but I would still expect it to be a little higher with the crushed shells in the filter.

In any case I'd start looking around the tank to make sure that you don't have any detritus or dead animal matter hiding under/behind something in the tank. Something is producing that ammonia if your tank is cycled and it needs to be located. It may even be something sucked up into the filter material. Check around and do a good vacuuming job on the tank. No amount of ammonia is good for your fish. Even at that level it is burning the gills of your fish. Not severely, but bad enough. That is something that will begin to tell on their health the longer it is allowed to go on.

OKay so ive been watching my tank all day lol Checking my levels to see how long it takes to improve after a wc.
Now my ammonia is at 0
My P.H. is still debatable at somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5
My No2 is at 2.0 which im freaked about i know thats ammonis ugly sister but what do I do I have counted everyone and they are all accounted for i even still looked around for dead unknowns.
My No3's are at 40 to 80 ppm
is this the tail end of a cycle?
My tank looks wonderful despite the readings
my fish are swimming around chasing and playing eating and not breathing rapidly no ones hiding
So i dont know
I added some aquarium salt for electrolytes to help and stressed gill function
and stress zyme
Temp sits at 78
am i missing anything?

just curios are you vacuuming when you do your water changes. I'm not sure how much that will affect your parameters.

Hey I don't know how true this is but I was told NOT to use the stuff that neutralizes ammonia and nitrites because it will deter your tank from cycling naturally. I was having some major problems and when I stopped adding all the 'helpful' chemicals and just started doing reg pwc of about 20% every other day it fixed itself in a couple of weeks. I did start rotating out my fish to a bowl if they started looking stressed to try to help them out. It was a PIA but worked and stopped the crashes.

Okay so i did yet another wc 50% so ive done almost a complete water chg.
No2 is now at 0.25 wish it was 0 but this is better then earlier. Ammonia 0 ph holding at 7.2-7.5 range didnt ck my no3 was so happy about my no2 i stopped lol i can at least rest tonight and ill ck it again first thing in the a.m. pwc again if i need to i have a feeling i will but we will see yjamls for all the support ill ck out some rams once i get this tank in check I want something bigger then a mollie. every time i consider more fish its like my tank knows and says not to today nic sigh

I do the parts that look like they need it but try to leave the gravel alone. JetaJockey youll be happy with me to know i thought of you and at the last minute decided not to use it. Forgot to mention that. I did however put some aquarium salt in the tank. PWC are a PIA lol Ive never had to baby a tank so much. I never had to do all this with my 55 oh well the tank will not win I will lol If i could give metals out to my fish they mos def deserve one lol they really have been troopers They look happy though and the tanks looking awesome its frustrating to know the levels are wrong

Dang it And I wanted to talk fish buying not tank crisis. this bites. Well to cheer me up lets say my tank is happy levels all where they should be with what I already have in my tank how much and what else can i put in therei like size varity

Heya...checking back on you. Looks like things might be getting better finally. the fact that you ammonia is at zero is good. Let's make sure it stays that way! :)

The nitrites should fall next, but that might take a bit of time too. It seems that your tank is needing to complete a new cycle. Keep up with the daily water changes. I would definitely be sure that you have done a thorough vacuuming to be sure that you have removed any mysteriously hidden dead ammonia producing beastie that might be somewhere in your gravel causing you these troubles. Also, be sure to check you filters that there is nothing rotting behind/inside the filter. Other than that, water changes are the best medicine for an ailing tank. Clean water is key :).

About fish buying...I know how exciting it is to acquire some new beauties. But putting them in the healthiest, most stable environment is way more fun that scooping out dead fish :/

As for new additions....just so you can have your fun too...I will look back at the beginning of the thread and see if I can come up with some interesting ideas with you :D

So, it seems that you only have some danios and a pleco to really consider in your setup right now. If you are really disinterested in keeping more mollies, you can always donate them to your lfs. I am sure that they would be happy to take them.

So you could consider alot to mix with your danios. Below is a link to a guide for tankmate compatibility that I have found very useful in the past.
Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility

If I had a 75g tank, I would consider some of the non dwarf gouramis. They are beautiful graceful fish that grow fairly large and can be lovely showcase fish for your tank. Some other considerations: angelfish, rainbowfish (boesemann), blue or gold rams, and discus. Those are my personal favourites. They can't be mixed. Just tossing out some ideas for you as you restart you tank. :)

After you get your tank sorted and back on track, i would suggest a few guppys, the range of colors they come in never end... And maybe some tetras such as black phantoms, gold flames and diamond tetras, tetras always add color to your tank and are usualy active and fun to watch.

okay good news for now i did another wc this morning and I have my ammonia at 0 still ph same and no2 are 0.25 and no3 is at 5ppm i cleaned what i could reach my drift wood is really big and hard to get around but i did what I could . Ill keep cking it daily and hopefully in a couple weeks i can start adding to this demon tank lol thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom