Bottom dweller suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite8765

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 37 gallon tall tank that is understocked ATM, with 5 red blue tetras and 5 red eye tetras. I would like to get a fish that stays near the bottom of my tank. Any suggestions? Non aggressive, and not harmful in any way to my live plants? Thanks. I have Eco complete substrate and real driftwood also.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Definitely corydoras catfish. Or maybe some amano shrimp (excellent algae eaters)? Or if you can find them, you could add a school of 15 pygmy cories - they are adorable and stay around 1" adult size.

I have kuhli loaches in my 50 gallon and they are very playful and beautiful too.

Khuli loaches! SA bumblebee catfish are fun too, if you want something fairly different. And you can never, ever go wrong with corydoras catfish.

I would recommend peppered cories or SA bumblebee cats. If you have any broad-leafed plants, sometimes the bumblebees will lay on the leafs and just chill. The peppereds have funny personalities, and If you have them in groups of 4-5 they will always be swimming about. If you have groups of tetras, then I would recommend a big group of cories, if you are going with them, as some tetras have the habit of nipping the tails of cories that are alone. I had a group of 5 glowlight tetras, with an emerald cory, and after a month, the Cory had lost half of the fins on his tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pygmy cories, ottos, and loaches are my usual go-to bottom dwellers, but Eco-complete is a pretty rough substrate. You may have issues with their sensitive barbels getting scratched up and infected.

An option that may work instead is Dwarf Crayfish. They're bright orange and very fun to watch :)

Apistos, Kribs, or Rams are another option. They may be more "aggressive" than you had in mind, but they're still community friendly.

I have 2 Juli Corys and 1 Bamboo shrimp as bottom feeders in my 20gal and they're very nice. I have the opposite problem and am getting high on stock so I may get rid of corys and get more shrimp. Corys do best in small groups of 5 or more though mine seem happy.

Back
Top Bottom