Bottom dwellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm considering the levels of my 29 gallon and I was wondering if having otos, cory cats, and kuhli loaches would make the bottom level over crowded. I'm aware they are all schooling fish and no, they would not be the only fish in the tank. Just wondering if it would make the bottom too busy or crowded. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't put Oto's in a 29, not big enough to support enough algae and biofilm to feed a group of them. Kuhli loaches will stay under cover, seldom seen, much less successfully compete for food with a group of Cory cats.

A 29 is fine for Otos if it's planted. They graze the biofilm, not just visible soft green algae. It should be a mature tank tho. I had some in my 10g and they did great for years.

If you make sure to feed some frozen/thawed brine shrimp and bloodworms as well as flakes and sinking catfish foods tour Kuhlis can learn to come out for food. I use a turkey Baster to target feed my bottom dwellers.

All three are social and should be in groups, so if you have enough room keep them with at least 5 to 6 of their own kind. I would pick Kuhlis or Cories since you have other fish. Might get overcrowded.

An old vid with some of my Otos and Cories. I do not recommend others stock as heavily as I do.

http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom