Bottom dwellers to go with sharp gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bytal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking into getting some fish to hang out at the bottom of my tank. I'm using Seachem flourite black as substrate which from my understanding puts corydoras out of the question which is what I was thinking of getting. Are there any bottom dwelling fish that will do good with sharp gravel? I guess I could go with a couple rams but I was hoping to stick with something smaller as all of the other fish in my tank are small. Thanks

Maybe I'll just let my pair of shrimp be my bottom dwellers then

Sadly, almost anything in the "fish" genre is probably not going to be good with that as a substrate. GREAT substrate for a planted tank, just not a good match for soft-bellied bottom-dwelling fish.

Shrimps would definitely be an option. Amano shrimps are large enough they should be safe with any fish you have, and will not only scavenge the bottom but will also help some with algae control. Ghost shrimp are another option, many pet stores sell them as feeders and so you can get them at ridiculously low prices like 6 for $1. You could experiment with any of the other dwarf shrimp species (e.g. Red Cherry Shrimp) but those are smaller and it is more likely they end up as fish snacks.

Back
Top Bottom