bottom dwelling Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samantha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:?
Have just introduced the first set of fish to my 13gallon Biorb, six Neon Tetras. I expected them to hide but instead they seem to have taken up residence at the very front of the bowl. They seem to be maintaining a very low swim pattern, if you can call it that.They seem fixated with remaining facing straight out of the bowl and doing not a lot else.
The water tested fine at the lfs and the temp is the same so do'nt think they are too hot or cold.When fed they will move around the bowl then they take up this strange looking out of the bowl thing again!!!.Has anyone got any idea what they are doing and why?

How big is the bowl? What are the temperatures? do you have a heater? what kind of filtration?

hi,
Biorb is about 13 gallons.temp at 26.The filter is the one specific to the Biorb, it has a sponge through which the water is pumped and the bacteria builds up on this(sorry not sure of the technical term)
HELP
Since last posted one of the tetras has left the shoal and is hiding in the plants just above the bottom, not looking too clever although does not seem to have rapid gill movement or gasping.Should I leave him or should he come straight out of the tank?.I have a spare heater but no spare air pump

What are your ammonia and nitrite levels. Gasping at the bottom sounds like ammonia poisoning. Was the bowl cycled?

Water just tested at lfs ( about 4 hrs ago ),all levels fine.
Fish that is hiding not gasping that I can see.He does look to have some damage to scales on one side.Also he did seem to try and rejoin the shoal but then the smallest fish seemed to see it off again.Now he/she is hiding mid water in the plants.apart from this behaviour it looks ok.Leaving the shoal means its not ok,doesnt it?
Yes the tank was cycled. Ran fishless cycle using prawn as nitrate source for filter.

Sorry about the gasping read your post in a hurry, missed the "not" in your post. The scale damage could have come from running into something or when the LFS netted him. Neons can be very sensitive little fish so as much as I hate to say it. You will probably have a few losses. They dont always keep a tight school unless they get threatened so leaving the group is not that big a deal. If they are eating and active I would just keep an eye on them. They may just be adjusting to thier new home.

If you are sure all your parameters are fine (have to take your word for it since you didn't post what the parameters actually are) and your temperature is adequate (I don't know what 29 C translates to), if the only concern is the fact that he is not schooling with the rest of the fish, I don't think there is much to worry about. Others may feel free to correct me, but the mere fact that one fish doesn't school with the rest doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. It may be the stress of the transport. It may be just the shock of a new environment, which will take a while wear off. It may be the result of a change in the group dynamic from the larger school at the lfs to the smaller one of the fish you purchased. And it may just be that that individual fish just doesn't want to school with the others right now.

nitrate approx 35(mg/l),GH8dH, KH6dH, PH6.5.
Water temp is 26 not 29, this equaqtes to approx 78ish.
Hope the parameters make sense, am new to this so not really sure what im looking at.ammonia negative (forgot to mention ).
Maybe you could explain what it all means, as literature on the test kit not especially helpful?
Infact any advise most gratefully received :)

what are ammonia and nitrite levels??? Everything else looks ok except your nitRATE is a bit high, you want to keep them at about 10-20 so you need to do a PWC to get the levels down.

This article explains the nitrogen cycle:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Ammonia and nitrite can be deadly to fish. Nitrates are much less toxic. Your nitrate level is slightly high, but is in the safe level. You may want to do a small water change to get the nitrates under 20. Fish always like a water changes, you can never do too many, as long as you keep the temperature of the new water close to the existing water.

78f is fine for neons and most tropical fish.

Oh and Welcome to AA!!!!

Thanks for the advice will do pwc.
Not sure what going on with spelling, it looks ok on my screen,sorry.
Would it be advisable to give him a dose of melafix for the damage to scales? or would another netting be worse in terms of stress?
This damage could be few days old as saw him being netted at lfs and there didnt seem to be any contact with the side of net.

you could add a dose of melafix to the entire tank. Its a mild antiseptic that shouldn't hurt the biofilter. it could help with the stress.

All to no avail.
Came down this morning to find a moribund fish.Was just preparing to do the deed and he slipped away.
On closer inspection the damage to scales looks like he has been caught in by the side of the net,probably before we even saw him.There was bleeding evident from around this area into the body cavity.Rest in peace little fishy friend.
Thanks for the advice guys, all the rest seem fine and now moving round the tank freely. :(

So what is your ammonia and nitrIte levels? This question was asked earlier in the thread.

justin

I am glad the other fish seem to be doing well. Someitmes fish do get damaged at the LFS and die when they get home. Kudos for your perseverence.

Back
Top Bottom