Bottom Feed Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdills1347

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up my Cichlid tank and wanted some suggestions for some catfishes or other bottom feeders. I currently have a bristlenose pleco and will be getting a variety of Cichlids such as johanni, zebras,peacocks etc. Haven't decided yet but will get a preliminary list up soon. I'm current thinking about getting a couple of Synodontis multipunctatus. Looking for any other suggestions since there are some really nice looking ones out there. I am hoping to have my tank's pH up around 8.2 or so because the LFS acclimates the Cichlids to a pH of 8.5 and I don't want to shock them. I am also hoping that my pleco will be able to handle that if I raise the pH up slowly. Thanks for any help.

Your idea of using Synodontis cats is right on the mark. There are plenty of Synodontids from the African Rift Lakes that will enjoy the same high pH and hardness as your cichlids. Check out which Synodontids are available at your lfs and then do some research to find out how big they'll get...some of those catfish get pretty large! You don't say how big your tank is so I can't be more specific at this point.

oh sorry its a 55gal. I have a book (Dr. Axlerod')s with some Synodontis in it and there are some really cool looking ones but they it says they like a pH of 7.2 or so. I'll have to look online for some more.

secure1347--double check the temperments of the cichlids on your list. You're mixing peacocks and zebras--IMHO they don't belong together. From what I understand--the peacocks have a different pecking order from Mbuna. Having just lost a wonderful cichlid to another cichlid--I am very cautious about what cichlids are mixed. Synodontis multipunctatus is from Lake Tang. There are plenty Synodontis from Lake Malawi--if you are trying to get bottom feeders from the same origin (not including the pleco :wink: ).

Any of the Synodontid catfish that originate from the African Rift Lakes will thrive in the same high pH and hardness as your cichlids.

Lake Tanganyika Synodontids include:
Synodontis multipunctatus, S. dhonti, S. eurystomus, S. petricola,
S. granulosus, S. melanostictus and S. lacustricolis
among others.

Back
Top Bottom