Bottom feeder for the 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 3. Should I get more? I found myself between two decisions, one big main bottom feeder (pleco or something) or a large variety of little ones. Since I already have 3 peppered cories I might get a few more, and some mystery snails to get some algae.

Cories do best in groups. 5-6 minimum. More is better. Don't forget to feed your Bottom feeders.

BTW bottom feeders don't eat poop or crap. They eat food. Sinking food and some leftovers that get to the bottom.

If you need to clean the bottom of your tank, gravel vac or get live plants and don't over feed.

Respect your cleanup crew ;)

Not a 40 gallon breeder. They max out at 5".

Not always, this cat can reach between 8 to 12 inches depending on a healthy diet, acidic waters and room to romp and roam. In fact most cats have the potential to reach large sizes if allowed to, well except for Cories of course, they stay pretty small.

BTW bottom feeders don't eat poop or crap. They eat food. Sinking food and some leftovers that get to the bottom.

If you need to clean the bottom of your tank, gravel vac or get live plants and don't over feed.

Respect your cleanup crew ;)

LMAOO don't even get me started on gravel vacs, I ended up cycling my tank with fish and had to siphon almost every day. The work paid off though, there were no deaths ^_^

Yes you should get more cories as they prefer shoaling with several of their kind and pleco's are not bottom feeders, they are considered algae eaters and rarely are on the bottom of the tank.

Ok I will get more. Does it matter if I mix types? Like peppered and pandas, etc

Ok I will get more. Does it matter if I mix types? Like peppered and pandas, etc

People will tell you it's fine. But IME it's better to have at least 5 or 6 ( more is better ) of the same species. You'll get to see really cute behaviors and they might breed for you :)

Not all mixed groups will shoal together and it's sad if you get an odd fish out :(

People will tell you it's fine. But IME it's better to have at least 5 or 6 ( more is better ) of the same species. You'll get to see really cute behaviors and they might breed for you :)

Not all mixed groups will shoal together and it's sad if you get an odd fish out :(

I have a mix of bronze and peppered (4 bronze and 3 peppered). I had 5 of each but some have died and I just havent replaced any. Even when I had 5 of each species they never all shoaled together. Honestly mine seem to pair off, I usually one see two bronze together, rarely do I see all 4 together, even when I had 5 per species they were never all together. There's times I've seen a pair of peppered together, but I've also seen both bronze and peppered hanging out together. They hide in the same place during majority of the day. So from my experience I don't think it really matters as far as mixing species goes.

In my largest tank, the 220g, I have 5 different species of cory's, 5 of each species, and mine tend to shoal in mixed groups. Sometimes 2 or 3 of the same species will be together but mostly it's just a mix. While cories like to be with their own species they do equally well in mixed groups. I've kept them both with species only in a tank to mixed groups and have never seen different behavior between the two in the 30+ years I've kept them. Personally I think it's a matter of personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom