bottom feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dozer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been watching my tanks, and I think I need to get a bottom feeder for my 10g tanks....my tiger barbs in the large tank do a lot of bottom feeding, so they take good care of that area. I would like to get some small ones....I've seen plecos that are huge, so don't want to get one of those...the cory cats are nicely coloured, so was considering those, but not sure how big they get...Does anyone have species that they like?

Pitbull plecos are even smaller than the bristlenose and the clowns stay small as well... i've seen some rather large bristlenose and I had one in my 10 gal and i really believe he was far too cramped in it and eventually ended up jumping to his death before I could move him. If you're not worried about the glass, I think your best bet would be cory cats... but you would need a small group of them cause they do like to school.

I just got a clown pleco myself, they get to be about 3-4". They sure are cute! And he has been non stop cleaning since I acclimated him. Of course a BN pleco is so cool too, JC got me addicted to them. I have one in my 20 gal. Choices choices. LOL.

Ive had good luck with corys over plecos in my cichlid tanks.
Some reasson when I have plecos and cichlids the plecos kinda disappear. hehe
Most my cichlids are messy eaters turning 1 stick of floating food into 120 bits of sinking food.
I have 4 jade corys with stuffed tummies. And they only grow up to 3inches or so.

pitbull plecos i believe only get to be about 2 inches or so... i dont kno much about cories and that so i cant reccommend anythign when it comes to them...

but i believe the pitbull only gets about 2 inches

My red tailed shark does a good at keeping the bottom and some ornaments clean, hes really timid though, today was actually the first day hes came out of his little cave since i got him about a week and a half ago, Alot of people say they get aggressive, especially with barbs, I have 3 Tiger Barbs and him in my ten gallon and they love each other, plus the red tailed shark only gets to about 6 inches long, so hes not as monsterous as some of the plecos and hesa beautifully colored fish

Ok, there's far to many people talkin about Pleco's here. When in truth, all must bow down to the absolute greatness of Cory's! Panda's and Bandit Cory's being the cutest of the bunch, emeralds and Julii's being the more common but still great cleaner and entertainment fishes. Plus the larger the group, the greater the entertainment value.

Pleco's are cool and all, but they have all the personality of a bulldozer, head butting poor cories away from food at any chance, or anything else in the way for that matter.

Yeah, I just put 4 emerald cories in my 55g tank and they're so great. They never are apart from another one it seems. I want to add more!

Back
Top Bottom