bottomless tank - a different perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I re-established my long empty 30 gallon tank I wanted to do something "different" from the average everyday gravel bottom. I choose those glass rocks / marbles that are used inside glass vases. I didn't cover the entire bottom of the tank so that there is a way for the cories to dig between the pieces and get all the sunken food. It also makes water changes a breeze since I don't have gravel to dig into. The tank is cycled and my parameters are perfect, so I'm not too worried about not having enough good bacteria (but I do keep a very watchful eye on the parameters whenever I add new fish - and I'm a bit concerned about what might happen when I replace the filter media - time will tell on that).

Originally I had put dark paper on the underside of the tank bottom so that the fish wouldn't think they were going to sink into the stand. When my betta was MIA I tore the paper off to see if I could find him by looking UP from the bottom. The fish didn't seem to mind and in fact the cories rested in the areas without any of the rocks right on the glass.

Yesterday beforeI fed the fish I emptied out the center of the stand and stuck my head INSIDE, looking UP to watch them eat. It was so interesting to watch the cories scuttle around hunting down their food - I eneded up staying under the tank for over 30 minutes, just observing. Talk about a "different perspective" on fish keeping !!

That sounds like it would look neat. I wouldn't worry about changing filter media, the marbles will still hold bacteria. Also do you have a form of media that doesn't get changed? Like sponges or ceramic rings?

I have a Whisper filter .... and <<hanging head in shame>> I don't even know what a ceramic ring is ! The Whisper has the normal bag plus a spongy looking thing that sits in front of it and doesn't get replaced. I'm assuming thats to hold the bacteria. I also have lots of silk plants which I assume the bacteria would love to live on also.

I'll post a pic sometime tomorrow - it really IS interesting looking up from underneath. I hope you all enjoy the view as much as I did.

a ceramic ring is, well a eramic piece of tubing used to grow bacteria on, you put a bag full of these cylinders in your filter to grow bacteria because the body of them is extremely poruos which is great fopr bacteria growth

Ceramic rings are just another form of media that doesn't get changed. I don't think they will work in a Whisper filter. The spongy thing that doesn't get replace is exactly what holds the bacteria.

Can't wait for pics either.

Someone's going to walk in while you're lying under the tank watching your corys, think you passed out, and call 911! :lol:

ROFL - the first time my husband spotted me under there he freaked - thought I had found a leak. I said "nah, just watching the fish". As he walked away I thought I heard someone mumble "strange!". LOL

I just put a bunch of pics in My Gallery - they're in the process of approval. The photos don't do the experience justice - I need to get a digital video camera now !! LOL

Back
Top Bottom