Bought a desktop 1 Gallon ... What should I put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Killies are sometimes hard to find around here but they must be in season cause I just saw some over at petsmart today.

Get a crayfish or a few of some sort of shrimp. Or the single fantail guppy.

Could you light it with a small desk lamp above it?

A crayfish would get too big for a 1 gal. My 2 gal tank is lighted with a desk lamp, but at most for 20 min or else it would get overheated.

I have a betta in a one gallon and he seems very happy. He makes tons of bubble nests and comes and looks at you when you look at him. He is very active and has a live plant in there to hide around. There is no heater, light source or filter. I just change the water frequently. I know everyone on here is going to yell at me now, but I think he's happy. He is right on my kitchen island and sees all the action in my house daily.

I still say go with the rubber duckie.....

and as far as Krazymom's betta being happy without a heater....that probably has alot to do with living in arizona!

I don't think bettas mind much being in a 1 gal (in the wild they may be found in small puddles of water), but it would be much better to keep one in a 10 gal.

talloulou said:
I still say go with the rubber duckie.....

and as far as Krazymom's betta being happy without a heater....that probably has alot to do with living in arizona!

True, it is sizzlin' here! Our house is 78-80o in the summer and 76-78o in the winter.

Blazeherd2306 said:
I don't think bettas mind much being in a 1 gal (in the wild they may be found in small puddles of water), but it would be much better to keep one in a 10 gal.

Fyi

rice patties are shallow but about the size of a football field , ie territory is about 18 gallons ... one gallon works for a while but since everything i seem to touch grows like a weed ... my youngest betta just moved to two gallons while i prep a new 3 gallon for him

The smallest one I found was 1.5" long and $50, excluding shipping. Why pay $50 for a fish that has a lifespan of 1 year or 2 years (I can't remember)? I still think shrimp will be best.

If you have a topless fish bowl will the shrimp get out? I have a plant that sits in the bowl and the leaves are out of the bowl and the stems and some roots are in the bowl. I keep the roots trimmed so they don't take up too much room. Will the shrimp climb out of this type of set up?

now, I checked the replacement parts for this item at that website and they do actually have a light hood for this tank. which for $6 ... might be worth it ... i found a small heater for it, but it costs $15 ... which that's like 7x the cost that I paid for the tank ... ugggh I was just hoping to do a little something in my office for cheap ... so I guess it might not be worth it if I have to add a filter & heater.

If your talking spending $21.00 books to make the 1 gallon fish ready its definitely not worth it, especially since no dignified fish would live in a one gallon anyway.

I recommend visiting your local pet shop, often you can find good deals on 5 and 10 gallon complete setups....if your really intereseted in an office tank. Or keep checking garage sales till you come across something better. But your really wasting your money, IMO, buying anything for a 1 gallon, including fish.

Back
Top Bottom