Bought a tank or mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday I bought a tank off of craigslist. A 55g, metal stand :(, lights glass top, heater and gravel for $200. The glass top is kind of piecemeal and will have to get new one. There is a brace at the top and I remember, now, that there was discussion here that a brace on top makes your life more miserable as far as finding a top and decent lighting. Is this true?

No, braces aren't that big of a deal IMO. I don't run tops, but every tank I've ever had came with glass tops or those cheesy plastic hoods. A 48" tank is a 48" tank. A fixture made for a 48" tank should have no problem fitting.

I will say that tank prices in your neck of the woods are outrageous. 55's around here go used for less than $100 except for the occasional person who feels they should charge what they paid.

Thanks, and you are right, EVERYTHING in my neck of the woods is expensive. I thought about open top but thought that might be more work.

Open tops make life easier IMO. Easier to feed, easier to maintain, easier to do water changes, and there is nothing between the light and the water to potentially block light/cause algae.

Good point, that save me some dough. You think I can use pfs for substrate? I would like to get some burrowers. Fire eels and kuhli loaches and a banjo or to for example.

Back
Top Bottom