Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2004, 02:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: bought another 10 gal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant
yesterday i bought another 10 gal tank.... i know i should use it as a quarantine but im tempted to use it for more fishies
LOL! This is how MTS usually starts! You buy a 10 gal for use as a Q/H tank and end up turning it into another show tank. Then, because you still need a QT, you go out and buy another 10 gal. And the vicious cycle continues until you have an entire wall of pretty 10 gal tanks!

I would be firm with yourself and set up this tank for use ONLY to quarrantine new fish or treat sick ones. This is a real, critical need that shouldn't be ignored. However, if you think mollies are cute, go get another 10 gal for them (if you have the room). Fortunately, 10 gal setups are cheap. Just be wary of most 10 gal kits - the included heater is usually cruddy and the lighting is inadequate for most plants.

I keep my Q/H tank barren except for a few plastic plants and resin ornaments I can boil. Keep in mind that most medications permanently stain the silicone and tank ornaments blue. I like the idea of keeping a sponge filter going in an established tank, so you are ready to quarrantine new fish without worrying about a cycle. I use Penguin Mini filters and have a few extra biowheels floating around my established tank - same concept, really.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com