Bought this tank on impulse, now what to put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know if my computer screen resolution isn't very good, or what, but I bought one of these tanks on impulse on ebay (I am never allowed on there anymore!!!):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4348616306&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And I though it had a hood like the Eclipse tanks or something, but it's a light that sits on mounts that hold it over the tank itself--there's no hood on the tank. I wanted a small tank to divide for my bettas at work, but now I'm thinking I might go with one of those mini bows instead so I won't have to go to the hardware store to try to figure out material for a divider AND a lid. So what would you put in an open-top 3.8 gal tank? I'm leaning towards maybe an aquatic frog or turtle? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Dude do not go with a turtle for a commen red ear slider turtle you need at least 10 gallons for a 2 incher and as it gets bigger oo jeez .....trust me ,i bought 1 when i was an inch long ,no it is like alomast a foot long have it in like a rubbermaid 100 GAL contanior with water and a basking place made up of statcked rocks so i would say no to the turtle go with the frog the African clawed frog is a good 1 u might be able to get 2 or 3 of em in there GL 0X

Agreed. Definitley too small for a turtle of any kind at all.

If you still want the bettas, what about buying a screen/mesh top for the tank? A little DIY cover? Or, if you have a handyman in the family, someone who can cut a custom top for you. Sheets of glass that small are not expensive at all.

Just a few thoughts.. HTH

Wow!! Look at all those fish in that tank on eBay!!

I like devilish's idea of a betta and a mesh top.

Your local builder supply will cut glass to your dimensions for low cost. This setup would make a good hospital or qt tank. Just add a 50 watt heater.

Did anyone look closely at the picture? I counted 17 fish! 8O

In a 3.8 gal, I would either get an African dwarf frog or a betta. You could probably put a snail in it too. A turtle would get way too big and I doubt that the built in filter could handle the bioload.

biohazzrd said:
Dude do not go with a turtle for a commen red ear slider turtle you need at least 10 gallons for a 2 incher and as it gets bigger oo jeez .....trust me ,i bought 1 when i was an inch long ,no it is like alomast a foot long have it in like a rubbermaid 100 GAL contanior with water and a basking place made up of statcked rocks so i would say no to the turtle go with the frog the African clawed frog is a good 1 u might be able to get 2 or 3 of em in there GL 0X

Stay away from the clawed frog and make sure it says DWARF frog.

Some of the african clawed frogs can get huge and require diffrent food and what not then the dwarf frogs.

PK Tester said:
Some of the african clawed frogs can get huge and require diffrent food and what not then the dwarf frogs.

they look so fake when they get big, like one of those pills you put in water that expand... thats what they remind me of =o)

I like the idea of the betta and the snail *nod*

I find that the ADFs are little escape artists. You would need a top for that tank if you were going to house a frog...or a betta for that matter since bettas are known jumpers too. Infact, a lot of fish a jumpers so I would suggest that you buy a sheet of plexi glass from a building store and drill some small holes in it. Thats what I use ontop of my betta tank and it works perfectly.

Wow!! Look at all those fish in that tank on eBay!!

Or the 10Gal Saltwater with a couple of clowns and 6 other fish.. (not to mention displaced water byt all the rock)

kinda scary what people will think they can put in it.

Back
Top Bottom