BOY! do i feel STUPID!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyLoner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I dont know if I should laugh or cry here! Bwahahaha! :(

Im currently in the process of setting up my very first large tank (270litres) and attempting a fishless cycle.

My ammonia test kit has been funny from the start. Not really showing results I expected, etc. I had to add a total of 250 drops of 85% ammonia to get the reading to 5ppm. Yes! Start laughing now!

I then waited a day, and it dropped to 3ppm. Added 50 drops again to get back to 5ppm. The same the next day and on the fourth day it only dropped to 4ppm! I then added 20 drops to get back to 5ppm. The day after that, it looks as if it was still on 5ppm, so I did not add anything. Same on 5 and 6! No drop in ammonia. This was last night and I started getting worried. I then started thinking logically for the first time. This is what I came up with.

If 5ppm is needed in 270 litres of water, that means that:

5 parts per million.

270 litres = 270,000ml

in other words, 1ml of PURE ammonia would be 3.7ppm in 270litres.

270,000 * 3.7 = 1,000,000

So I wouldve needed like only 1.5ml of pure ammonia to get the proper reading. 50 drops was measured at 5ml. And I added 370 drops in total so far, which is 37ml of 85% ammonia. WAAAAYYYY TOOO MUUUUCCCHH!!!

I then went to the Hagen website, to see what I was doing wrong with the testkit. When comparing colours on the chart, you should hold the Vial AGAINST the paper with the charts, as not to have any light inbetween. I did not do this. Following this news, I retested ammonia properly for the first time. The chart works in shades of orange. When I check now, the liquid is almost RED. Like 3 to 4 times more than the kit can measure! HAHAHA

Fortunately there is no fish in there, but for that matter, no bacteria as well, think I killed it all.

Gonna do a 80% water change tonight. Then test ammonia again and hope that was sufficient to get it to readable readings again.

Thought I would share this with you guys.

Im writing a diary of everyday, think this is going to be a comedy in the end, not a diary.

hL

...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...laugh...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...cry...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...drip...

That's what I would do :lol:

lol!

ok guys

now how much should I put in. I did about a 90% water change and now my ammonia reads 0.

I worked it out like this.

252 litres of water (measured at current water level - close to 100% right)
divided by one million
= 0.000252 litres = One part per million in my tank!
* 5 to get 5ppm
= 0.00126 litres or 1.26ml of 100% pure ammonia needed?

I have 85% ammonia, so I would need to add about 2ml of ammonia? This is a bit over, but lets say its not THAT pure anymore, bottle has been opened a few times, etc.

After I added the 2ml ammonia, how long do I wait before testing the ammonia again? I have a fluval 403 running at 1200litres per hour and two powerheads each at 800litres per hour.

hL

I feel like i'm back in environmental chem lab with all the ppm math...do y'all know if there are any test kits out there that aren't colorimetric? My color recognition is pretty poor...I feel silly having someone come over to tell me if my test tube is green or purple :p

I'd say don't even worry about the huge water change.. I did the same thing with my fishless cyle, only had "calculated" the amount of my solution to be 3 CUPS.. I thought I'd start slow and put in 1.5 CUPS first.. WAAAAAAY to much..stank like a toilet.. I started doing a small water change but then said "I'm just gonna let it ride.."
never added ammonia again.. the tank cycled by itself over approx. 12 days, at which time I started putting in a couple teaspoons to keep it up until my fish arrived. (I did start with a decent amount of existing filter material)

Yep, I remember that one. I was fine in my calculations until I tried converting cups to pints. I wish we would just adopt metric.

Hi All ;D

Yesterday I added 2.5ml Ammonia while the reading for ammonia was 1.0, and today the reading is 0! Best news I had in WEEKS.

Nitrites are still spiking WAY OFF the charts, cannot even read it, above 5 I think.

Nitrates now is 100+ (up from 45 yesterday and also in a not-readable range on my testkit anymore).

Now I know that nitrites should start falling soon, hopefully, but what do i do about nitrates? I cannot test for them as readings are off the charts already, and they will only climb from here on. Do I do a water change to get them down? or do i forget about nitrates till my nitrites are 0 then do water changes till nitrates are as low as possible before I introduce my fish? The fish wont be here for another 10 days anyway.

Do I continue adding 2.5ml ammonia till about 24 or 48 hours before I get fish? Seeing that it currently already takes 2.5ml over 24 hours to 0, I think that is good amount, or should I increase it (ammonia is 85% pure - industrial ammonia)?

Thanks!

hL

don't worry about the nitrates - yet. as long as the NH3 and N02 keep going back to zero after your additions of NH3, you should keep adding the same small amount of NH3 until you're ready for the fish.. then, do a huge water change (at least 50%) to bring the nitrates back down, and then it's ready for fish!

Heh. I'm glad I read this thread before starting a fishless cycle in my soon to be planted tank.

I actually started it yesterday; added a capful of straight ammonia, 2 caps of Cycle into the 10 gallon and away I go. Took a look at the water parameters this morning and already there is a TOUCH of nitrites (ammonia is registering about 3.0). Perchance the Cycle is actually working (I'm skeptical about it, but figured it couldn't hurt)? Squeezed out the sponge from my QT filter in there today (everyone moved out of QT yesterday *yay*) and I'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to keep my ammonia additions to a minimum tho *grin*

Back
Top Bottom