Brackish bogwood and one sexy ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishb0ne

Aquarium Advice Activist
.... crab. Red clawed crab :D
She's the hottest specimen I've ever seen/owned.

I've made up my mind on acclimating a couple of platties and maybe one more crab. However, I have some questions.
Using the drip or turkey baster method, how long should I take to acclimate the platties, considering my brackish is on the very low-end [currently at 1.005]
Here's a pic of the bogwood I plan on introducing in order to create plenty of above water dry room and allow me to raise the water level up. I plan on removing 2 of the rocks you currently see in there. Click for full size.

It's been used before for several years in a 75g freshwater tank but it's been sitting dry for 2 years now. I currently have it fully submerged for soaking in a bucket of brackish water, just like the tank. I'm trying to get it to sink and I'm hoping it won't take long.

My tap pH is around 7.6-7.8 and my tank water [and pretty much all the fw tank water at all the LFSs] is around 8.3-8.4. I have never tested my kH so I don't know what it is.

Will this piece of bogwood overwhelm the tank and cause severe fluctuations in pH/kH? Any steps I can take to make sure it stays around the same at what it's now?

Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but both the white gravel substrate used in the 75g tank and this bogwood give off a strong scent of cement when wet.

don't know much about the rest, but that piece of bogwood is absolutely gorgeous!

Lots Of Credit Due

I think it's great you are maintaining a brackish system! Many hobbyists think it's more of a hassle than it's worth but I disagree. I like how open the range is for fish possibilities. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom