Brackish Conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i was just wondering since i was treating my Ich problem with some aquarium salt and it got my mind thinking ... since i added 1 tablespoon for every 5 gals ..... how much aquarium salt do you add to make the tank brackish? ... the same amount?
TIA

Ray

Brackish tanks use Marine Salt not Freshwater Aquarium Salt. They are two differet things. As long as you used the Freshwater salt, you are fine.

The teaspoon method is wildly inaccurate. You need a hydrometer to give you a decent SG reading and a refractometer to get an accurate measurement. But like fishyfanatic stated, marine salt is used for brackish tanks not aquarium salt.

ah ok ... and yes i used aquarium freshwater salt .... that makes sense now .... thanks

Ray

toddnbecka said:
Brackish is around 2 Tbsp salt/gallon.

Brackish is actually salinity between 1.001-1.016SG. 1.017SG can be typical for FOWLR SW tanks so I consider that the cut-off. Again, spoon measurements are wildly innacurate because once the salt is exposed to the atmosphere it absorbs moisture and expands.

Legacy is right--brackish tanks need to be maintained with marine grade salt and hydrometer.
Keep in mind when ich is treated with salt, you are only changing the osmolarity a tiny bit to kill off the single celled organism and have little to no effect on the fish and plants.

Back
Top Bottom