Brackish Tank with Black Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eanor321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I am new to keeping fish but I have a 60 litre tank set up with brackish water, eventually I am looking to get some Indian Dwarf Mudskippers in it so it is set up 1/2 land 1/2 water.

A couple of days ago I brought 2 Black Mollies to live in the water and 3 hours after getting them home one gave birth! So now there are 2 adults (I'm fairly certain the other is a male) and at least 9 babies.

Not being set up for babies this soon they are living in the main tank, however they are doing fine, the adults seem to ignore them. I have purchased a ground flaked food for the babies and have continued with the adding of bacteria (on the advice of my LFS) but does anyone have any advice for me? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:thanks:

If you are still cycling the fry might not make it trough..however, I find that most molly fry are born too big to be eaten my their mother so they have a chance, I'd just keep on cycling and if they don't make it, you'll have your chance again soon enough :p good luck with the mudskippers, I've always wanted some :)

Female Mollies don't normally eat their own young, although they may eat the young of other females in the tank!

Thanks for the advice. They were an added bonus when we brought the adults so if they don't survive then that's cool. Just don't want it to be something we do that causes it is all. Thanks, will let you know how we get on with the mudskippers as soon as we can source some. Got one LFS looking and another who might be able to get some in a few weeks. :)

Well, after a lot of searching we finally have our mudskippers. A pair, though not the same species. We have a male called Charles who is a Periophthalmus Novemradiatus or a Pearse's Mudskipper, which is what we were expecting, 2 – 2.5 inches. Then we have what we believe is a female but who has a damaged dorsal fin and so therefore very hard to sex, who is called Darwin and she is (we think) a Periophthalmus Weberi or Weber's Mudskipper max size about 8.5cm but that was a male and the largest ever!

Charles and Darwin were specially ordered in for us from India as none of the LFS near us stock mudskippers, as they are an unusual breed and they have found very few people purchase them. Unfortunately this means we couldn't check them out till we go home and Darwin didn't put her fin up until we were putting them in the tank. However she is fine in all other repects, very good health, incredibly mobile so we are happy.

We brought them home today and Charles is settled right in, watching us almost from the first moment he was put in the tank. Darwin on the other hand is a little skittish but she's happy if you don't stare at her or get too close to the tank when she's not in her hidy hole.

They have had their first feed, very small crickets intended for small reptiles, was great watching them hunt them down! Charles was first in there but Darwin has had a couple, that we have noticed.

Great news..... very interesting fish.

I would be surprised if one was weberi - that is an Indonesian/Australian species i believe? There is a similar species found in the Ganges Periophthalmodon septemradiatus ??

do you have pictures of your setup? I would love to see it. I am setting up my old mudskipper/F8 puffer tank and im excited to get them again. just waiting for the tank to finish cycling which will be very soon.

Back
Top Bottom