Brackish water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would wait until you get him adequate space before you add anything else.

At our shop we have a marine tank with 2 snowflake eels and within a week one of them finagled their up into our overflow and jumped out the back! A top or cover is a must for eels... A secure top or cover is a must! Lol they are very cool lil buggers!!!

image-3028139683.jpg

I am waiting until he has his bigger tank. I'm just one of those people that like to have everything I want wrote down so I remember lol since I had kids I can't remember nothing. And I wanted to do research on my fish before I get them because I have been misinformed about all my fish and now two of my beautiful babies are dead. I don't wanna lose anymore fish that's why I find the fish write down all parameters, what the eat, etc. I wasn't going to get them now. We wanna get one of them flame eels they have red and dark brown to black markings. They are neat looking I will see if I can find a pic and post it. I am not getting anymore fish until I have bigger tanks and all correct test kits!

This is my eels new setup. Black sand and new hole to hide in! He loves it!

Attachments

• image-4160965346.jpg
    image-4160965346.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1723883094.jpg
    image-1723883094.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 75
DragonFish71 said:
Hydrometer is fine for using with BW. I use one and have for years. Sure the refractometer is better, but you don't need precision with BW, with SW you do.

I just wanted to make sure the poster wasn't telling you that you don't need to measure SG in BW.

Hey I wanted to see if this hydrometer will work before I order it, thanks.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/supreme-hydrometer.html

Hydrometer is fine for using with BW. I use one and have for years. Sure the refractometer is better, but you don't need precision with BW, with SW you do.

I just wanted to make sure the poster wasn't telling you that you don't need to measure SG in BW.

In the wild, brackish fish can tolerate a wide variety of SG. Wild fishes do not live as long as well-cared captive fishes.

In captivity, its best to use precision to keep the water parameters constant with weekly water changes. This has shown to increase the life span of any fish. Hydrometers can be way off with varying changes of up to 0.006 on a weekly basis, which will be detrimental to the beneficial bacteria and the health of your pet.

Refractometers will be the best investment for the life span of your fish.

BW fish need pre-mixed water as well with constant water temperature. Of course its very difficult to get the water precise, but I always say "try your best with what you know and what you have."

The cycle in density sensitive, you change more than 0,005-0,007 and the cycle can stop and restart with new bacteria.

Gymnothorax tile eel is a low density to start as baby, and every 4 months you add 0,002 of density. Start at 1,003 and after 3 years that will become a saltwater tank as that eel likes it when adult!!

Easy to mix with Mono, scat, archer, grunniens... Find BW that live in saltwater when adult that start in low salinity. BW

Density is important, so a hygrometer is ok but a refractometer is great!! And dont tell me its expensive... Because salt is very expensive with weekly PWC...

Oh!! And once in salt water you need a protein skimmer!!

There is BW fish that stay in a low salinity, easier to keep but its not the case of Gymnothorax Tile!! ( i have 2!! And i love them!!)

The cycle in density sensitive, you change more than 0,005-0,007 and the cycle can stop and restart with new bacteria.

Gymnothorax tile eel is a low density to start as baby, and every 4 months you add 0,002 of density. Start at 1,003 and after 3 years that will become a saltwater tank as that eel likes it when adult!!

Easy to mix with Mono, scat, archer, grunniens... Find BW that live in saltwater when adult that start in low salinity. BW

Density is important, so a hygrometer is ok but a refractometer is great!! And dont tell me its expensive... Because salt is very expensive with weekly PWC...
Okay awesome thank u. U have been big help!

There is BW fish that stay in a low salinity, easier to keep but its not the case of Gymnothorax Tile!! ( i have 2!! And i love them!!)

How high for SG until it (the protein skimmer) starts working? I just know that it doesn't work for low-end brackish water.

MonsterfishGuy said:

What is a protein skimmer and what is it for?

MonsterfishGuy said:

Also could I put different types of morays in one tank together?

What is a protein skimmer and what is it for?

Basically in a nutshell, it helps keep your water cleaner.

Also it woild be beneficial to keep live rockes and a refugium when your eel is full saltwater.

Both items help minimize costly water changes. Skimmer more important though.

Setting up this tank will cost a lot (think quadruple digit dollars).

Basically in a nutshell, it helps keep your water cleaner.

Also it woild be beneficial to keep live rockes and a refugium when your eel is full saltwater.

Both items help minimize costly water changes. Skimmer more important though.

Setting up this tank will cost a lot (think quadruple digit dollars).

Wow okay so it will take time! Thanks for the help!

Terrance said:
How high for SG until it (the protein skimmer) starts working? I just know that it doesn't work for low-end brackish water.

Me i start it at 1.022 and i do saltwater between 1.025 to 1.030 depending on your tank size and your livestock need!!!

I know saltwater is suppose to be 1.023 but in the ocean even when corals use minerals, the density does'nt fall as there is so much water!!

So in a tank i always keep a little more salt to make sure i dont have to use to much product to boost the used parameter!

If you dont have a refractometer just start the skimmer at 1.020!! Before that its almost no use.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Also could I put different types of morays in one tank together?

Depend on the species an size of the 2 morays...but how many gallon to you build for?? 2 morays need some territories!!

I agree it will be a 4 digit $$$ to build but as i have some, i think it worth it!!

Back
Top Bottom