Brackish water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It means a mixture of fresh and salt water. But for an aquarium it really is just a low amount of salt in the water. Several species of brackish water include figure-eight pufferfish, many different gobies, monos, archer fish, and scats. There are still more, those are just to name a few.

yea

its "fresh sea water"

you know like the gulf of mexico that is brackish cause the mississippi river pour into it

also others include mollies

and now i am brain dead :mrgreen: LOL

Brackish is at the delta of where the ocean and rivers meet. It isn't completly saltwater, but it isn't completly freshwater, more of a mixture of the two.

Can "regular" tropical fish live in "brackish" water? Aka cory's, pleco, tetra's and the like?
No, they are not evolved to handle the difference in osmotic concentrations.

Also, a brackish tank is made with marine grade salt, not aquarium salt. My brackish setup and some fish are in my gallery.

I've read around about mollies being brackish but a friend who's a fish keeper said they were FW so I believed him and kept the fish. I'm pretty sure he got this false info from a pet store. No wonder they never seem to do too well in my tanks. They'll be fine for awhile but after a few months or so there's problems. Why do pet stores keep them in FW and say that they are FW fish? Well, I guess I know what the answer is. The fish are great sellers and there are no where nearly as many people that buy brackish fish, right? It's just cruel what they do to the poor fish.

Rok, I agree, its really weird how people don't look at fish as animals. Can you imagine if they treated puppies the way they do fish? PETA would be in an uproar.

LOL

i think PETA is dumb but yea, fish are living creatures and should be treated like all other living creatures

when i get a bigger tank (which as it turns out will DEFINITLY not be the free perfect u p and running 46 g glass tank with stand and hood) i will turn my current 24g into brackish and put some monos in it. i love brackish fish. brackish tanks are so cool

Monos are a schooling species that grow to 1'. As adults, they require marine conditions & a HUGE tank (300+gal for a school of them). I really wish they wouldn't even sell these delicate fish! Can you imagine how many ever really get this care?

Back
Top Bottom