Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Brackish water with Betta?

Hi,
I have a female molly that may have the shimmies (often wiggles in place, sometimes darts around, and her top fin is often down against her back (not really clamped), but then sometimes she seems fine.) and I’ve been told salt would help. Someone suggested 1 tbsp of salt per 10gal. to start with, doubling it if nothing happens. She is in a 15 gallon with a male molly, 2 platies, 2 otos, and a male betta. I will move the otos to my fry tank, but was wondering if anyone has kept a betta with mollies in brackish water? What signs should I look for if the betta is bothered by the salt? Also, the molly doesn’t seem to care for flakes (she’ll eat some - it’s TetraMin), she’ll munch on algae in the tank, and also likes algae wafers. She doesn’t care for zuch. and peas. What do you all feed your mollies? Be interested in hearing everyone’s experiences and opinions!
Thanks

Old 11-17-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Betta's definitely do not belong in a brackish environment and platies (livebearers) love salt in their water, but not a true brackish environment.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mollies can be kept in brackish or freshwater. I keep mine in freshwater because I bought them from a lfs that had them in freshwater. For ich, put him in a qt tank with about a tablespoon per 5 gallons of salt and crank the heat to 86 (1 degree every 12 hours. Also add the salt slowely over time) Keep her like this for atleast 10 days then slowly lower the heat and do water changes. I keep my bettas in a teaspoon per gallon of salt. It helps with fin rott and what not. This is different than the salt you would keep a mollie in. Mollies need marine salt. My mollie eat flakes but also needs a ton of plant material too. They will eat algea but I think then need more nutrition than that. I had sinking pellets that i feed my cory cats and they always pick at that. They will eat blanched zukes too. Do you cook yours first? You need to heat them for about 30 secs in the microwave so they get soft. On occasion Ill give them a bit of goldie flakes too. (I believe theres a lot of plant matter in goldfish fakes...I could be wrong)
Old 11-18-2004, 01:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
Adding aquarium salt to a tank for medicinal purposes, is not BW.

Pufferpunk's Tanks
http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Mollies can be kept in brackish or freshwater.
Yes, that is true, but they belong in a brackish environment. Just because they can "survive" in freshwater doesn't mean that they are happy and healthy. They are very prone to diseases without salt and I personally feel that they below in a true BW environment.

And I will reitterate that Betta's should not be kept in a BW environment.

Tags
betta, brackish, brackish water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com