Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 08:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to mushroomfarie Send a message via Yahoo to mushroomfarie
brakish Water Tolerance

I was wondering if all my fish will do well in a brackish tank. I know my mollies need it but I want to be sure not to hurt the other fish. Other then my mollies I have 3 corries and a plecostamus. Thanks in advance for any response.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I know we have a member here who is doing this, but cory cats and plecos are generally considered intolerant of salt, so I would personally not do it.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mollies prefer salt, but do NOT need it. Since Mollies do well in each environment, I would leave the tank as it is.

BTW~
[center:dc88b04cb0] Welcome to AA, mushroomfarie! [/center:dc88b04cb0]

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Re: brakish Water Tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomfarie
I was wondering if all my fish will do well in a brackish tank. I know my mollies need it but I want to be sure not to hurt the other fish. Other then my mollies I have 3 corries and a plecostamus. Thanks in advance for any response.
To make a tank brackish you use marine salt, not aquarium salt. Cories and plecos will DIE from the marine salt in a very short period. It would also be a very excruciating short period as they're slowly burned from the inside-out due to the salt.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:44 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to mushroomfarie Send a message via Yahoo to mushroomfarie
Good to know. Glad I didn't use marine salt. However I did put 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt in. I figure it is not enouph to harm them but it might make the mollies more comfortable. I had big issues with stress before so I would like to prevent it in the future
Old 09-28-2004, 12:53 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to senorcat
would anyone mind explaining the difference between the two, marine and aquarium?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I use both, but I don't know the fine details. Basically, Marine salts have extra minerals that are not found in Aquarium salt.

If anyone can shed more light on the differences, please do so.

mushroomfarie, it sounds like you care about your fish very much. If you want to give them the BEST care, buy another tank to make brackish and then you will have a BW and FW tank. I have one BW tank and six FW tanks, so I can help if needed.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:18 AM   #8

The only problem is that the corries and the pleco are there for a purpose. They keep the tank clean. Hopefully soon I will have enouph money to setup my 55 gallon tank. As it stands now though I just don't have the money for that. I was wondering though does anyone know of a brackish algae eater efficent as a pleco? As well as a brackish bottom feeder?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was wondering though does anyone know of a brackish algae eater efficent as a pleco?
I don't, but I also don't feel you need an algae eater in every tank. If the tank is small, (or in my case 29 gal), just DIY! It doesn't take long to clean the algae. If you do some research, you will come up with some thing that like algae!

As for bottom feeders, I love bumble bee gobies, but find they are VERY hard to keep with Mollies. The bb gobies are slow eaters that like live or frozen foods. When I had Mollies in my BW tank, they ate EVERYTHING and they had to go.
This was very unhelpful--sorry.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/salt.shtml

Pufferpunk's Tanks
http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomfarie
I was wondering though does anyone know of a brackish algae eater efficent as a pleco? As well as a brackish bottom feeder?

Yeah it stands between 5-7', walks on 2 feet, lives with you and does the majority of your tank maintenance

PS (and I don't mean your wife/mother)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com