Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazy4fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to having a fish tank. About 3weeks in. I got two dalmation mollies a few days ago and the male is chafing after the female but she is running away. I want to breed them. Any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks

The hardest thing about breeding mollies is supposed to be preventing it from happening, if you have a male and a female. They sre widely regarded ad prolific breeders, just like guppies. You should actually have more than 1 female ...ratio of 1 male to 2 or 3 females.... So that the male does not chase and tire the one female to death while trying to mate with her. You should also have a plan for the fry. What will you do with them? Head over to the freshwater fish and plants profiles forum - there was a profile added for mollies not too long ago. Very informative of view including details on breeding and care.

I am new to having a fish tank. About 3weeks in. I got two dalmation mollies a few days ago and the male is chafing after the female but she is running away. I want to breed them. Any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks

My suggestion is to read up on the nitrogen cycle

here read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Oh ok thank you all so much I will defy develop an idea about what to with the little babies and I'll get another female thanks!

Mollies are one of the easiest fish to breed. Put a male in with a female and it is done. Better to have 2-3 females per male though as stated previously. Also, I believe that mollies are like guppies in that the females can take sperm from the male once and store it so that she has enough for up to 8 broods.

Back
Top Bottom