Breeding Blue Rams Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had Gold Rams before but never Blue Rams. I ordered a mating pair of Blue Rams online yesterday at germanbluerams.com. I was willing to pay more of a premium for a guaranteed pair that is not inbred or have been pumped full of hormones. The reviews were good so I pulled the trigger. I have a 25 gallon tank that I will keep them that is planted along with caves, driftwood and flat stones. There are other fish, but no one is aggressive although I fear for the clown pleco trying to pull a fast one. My plan is to let the rams lay the eggs in the main tank, let the eggs hatch in the tank, and after 2-3 weeks, move them to another tank. My question is, will the rams breed in 78 degree water? Also, how big should the breeder tank be if it is only for these fry? Will I need to do anything special as in put plants, and gravel in or is a bare tank fine? Thanks!

Not an expert on temperature so can't answer that one. But a 10 gallon should be ok when you want to raise the fry to juvenile rams. You will probably need sand or a fine gravel in case they want to lay their eggs on the substrate. I know some do that.

I give it a 2% chance the eggs will make it 2 nights let alone 3 weeks with a Pleco on the prowl, you really need to have them isolated to have any decent chance of hatching out fry..

How big is the Pleco? I think the rams would stress to death trying to keep a piggy Pleco out of their caviar, do you have Cory's? I've had a breeding pair of apisto's do the dance a hundred times , the male is a bus at over 3" and my 2" bn Pleco is a big fat boy off all the eggs.. Not trying to bring you down, I just want to pass on what little knowledge I have with Pleco's and breeders!

The Clown Pleco is only a few months old so I would say 3-4 inches. The flat stone is near the driftwood though, but the caves are on the other side. I do not have cories though. Only shrimp. The rest of the fish are neon tetras, guppies, and a dwarf gourami

That Pleco will most likely eat the eggs, sorry.. Can you set up a 20? I know it sounds like a lot, if you're serious about breeding it will probably be a must..

Keep him well fed with shrimp pellets and veggie wafers at night away from the eggs is worth a shot?!

Keep him well fed with shrimp pellets and veggie wafers at night away from the eggs is worth a shot?!

Are you kidding? Caviar vs boring ol' veggies and shrimp pellets, which do you think he'll pick ;)

You may want to just pull the eggs into the rearing tank as soon as you see them laid. Otherwise the chances of the pleco not having caviar for dinner while the parents sleep is slim to none.

Are you kidding? Caviar vs boring ol' veggies and shrimp pellets, which do you think he'll pick ;) You may want to just pull the eggs into the rearing tank as soon as you see them laid. Otherwise the chances of the pleco not having caviar for dinner while the parents sleep is slim to none.
yah what Lu said!!!!

Back
Top Bottom