Breeding cherry barbs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone know anything about cherry barb breeding? One of my female cherry barbs has a fat stomach. It sounds like she may be holding eggs. I don't have a separate breeding tank but I do have a breeding container (a container you put in the tank that the eggs/fry live in) do I put the female in there with a male? Or do I wait until the female lays than I put the eggs in the breeding container so they don't get eaten? The female seems to be just hanging out at the bottom of the tank near a plant, she's been eating well (tropical flakes, brine shrimp and blood worms) she has flat normal scales so shes not sick, right? She's also been pooping pretty good. Since she's been hanging out by the bottom, my crayfish has been going after her. Should I just put her in the breeder tank? And do I put the male with her so he can fertilize the eggs? I have 2 females and 3 males in the tank right now (15g) and I've already chosen the male I want to be the father (my biggest and prettiest) Also how long until she "pops?"

Im not an expert but i wouldn't leave her in the breeding enclosure for more than a few hours, and i definitely wouldn't leave her in there with a male. I would wait until she lays eggs, and then collect as many as you can and put them in there. Have a lot of hiding places in the tank in case you miss any and they hatch. Java Moss is great for this.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

If I don't leave her in with a male how will the eggs get fertilized? Sorry I'm such a newbie with breeding fish!

If I don't leave her in with a male how will the eggs get fertilized? Sorry I'm such a newbie with breeding fish!

In the main tank... Those timy breeder things are, well, tiny and they will stress them out too much to breed and they might even die, if held in there to long.

For better advice i would Google or ask someone a bit more experienced than me.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

As you are well aware cherry barbs are egg layers which will deposit them in the substrate as the male fertilizes them. This isn't something that will occur in the breeder net. More importantly they will eat the fry once the eggs hatch even in the main tank. The method used to breed Cherry's is to add the male and female to a separate tank and watch the female closely, once she lays the eggs and appears much thinner you remove both cherry barbs from the tank so the eggs are alone. They will hatch too small for flake food so this is where keepers culture baby brine shrimp. Ive included a link to help answer your questions.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/breedingcherry.php

Back
Top Bottom