Breeding Cory's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xomoosecandiixo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 10 Cory's in a 30 gallon tank. I have 4 Panda's, One skunk Cory, One Schultz's Cory, One Pepper, One Julii, One Bandit Cory, and One Elegan's Cory. I've wanted the Panda's to breed for a long time, but i've never tried to get it to happen. I've done some research, about putting cold water in the tank and feeding them with plenty of bloodworms, which i've been doing for almost a week now. I'm kind of wondering what the simplest way to get them to spawn. Any helpful advice on what to do would be awesome. :D

5 degree temp drop on the new water coming, no more no less. 5 degrees is a magic number when inducing spawns with a "spring rain shower" type water change.

My corydoras have been spawning like this for over a year now, I dont harvest the eggs so they never hatch but corydoras are known bed grazers. I think youd have to have a seperate tank set up for them as in 1 female to 4 males.

I did try last night to make them spawn. My tank was at 78 degrees, and I did maybe a 5% water change, and the temp dropped down to 74. Unsuccessful. I have my old 10 gallon tank with filter in place next to my 30 gallon still, so i'm thinking it would be wise to set that up with water again, and put my Panda's in it? I sort of wanted to see if all of them would spawn, but starting with my Panda's would be a good approach I think.

Peppered, greens,pygmy and albino greens.

From what I understand its not an easy task to successfully breed corydoras.

I just let mine spawn in the main tank because they scatter the eggs all over the place and quickly clean up their own mess. The only thing I have breeding successfully in my tank right now are pangio oblongas.

Mine breed all the time and I have never even tried. This thread is interesting to me, because I have always used slightly colder water during a water change, just because the fish seem to enjoy it. I guess it had more of an effect than I thought it did!

cooler water will induce a spawn, I think they associate it with frontal changes and seasonal changes and makes them feel giggity giggity.

Cool, i was gonna start a thread asking this question. I think i am gonna have to try to get my cory cats "giggity giggity".

I've always added water that was within 2 degrees to the tank water, so I never realized I could have had little cories sooner if i hadn't really heated my water much. I noticed last night when I added cooler water that they enjoyed it, but months ago I never thought that it would make them spawn. I always had added water that was the same temperature because I was afraid that my cories would go into shock or it would lower my tank temperature too much. Of course that was when I had my 10 gallon and I never got a hood for the tank because I knew I was going to be getting a bigger tank eventually and I didn't want to waste say $35 on a hood if i was going to be getting rid of my whole 10 gallon set up eventually.

I also read that it's wise to add the cold water when a storm front is moving in, and they'll sense the atmospheric pressure and that would be another trigger for them. That was my method last night because it was "supposed" to rain this morning here but it never did.
Thanks for the advice though, hopefully there will be little cories swimming in my tank in the near future.:D

Can I ask what kind of substrate you all have for your corie's? Sorry it's kind of off subject but I didn't really want to make a thread just for that question in particular. Also, WhiteDevil you mentioned that you didn't harvest their eggs. So does that mean that if they do breed and we didn't want them to we could just leave the eggs and it will take care of itself? Sounds mean, but I only have a 10gal right now and until I can afford a bigger tank I don't really want any breeding.

Last edited:
Any substrate will work for corys (gravel or sand). It is all just what you prefer. The only thing you never want is to avoid sharp gravel or sand. Just feel the sand and see if it is sharp or look at the gravel to see if alot of the peices have sharp edges as this can damage any fish. It is all in what you prefer. Alot of people will recommend sand and that is what i use but in the end you can do either. People will specifically mention pool filter sand as it is a good size so it dosent cloud up your tank and it is economically better as it is cheap. But i dont like it as much as i like the dark brown mud look or the black sand look better. As for the eggs if you just leave them in there other fish or other cories will eat the eggs so you wont have to worry about them if you dont want breeding.

I use River Rock Gravel from petco, the medium size. It has no sharp edges and my cories can easily dig for food in it because of its size. I've thought of switching to sand for some time. I was concerned how you would syphon out food particles though? I've heard of an option of like, getting a snail and they'll eat stuff in the sand. How do you clean your sand of leftover food?, that the cories don't eat.

Mine bred with flourite in the tank.

to clean sand all you need is two methods, a swirl above the sand method to kick up the crap OR use a strong rubber band and attach a hair pik yes a hair pik to the gravel vac then comb the sand, it will kick up the crap and drag some with it, also doing this helps with the dead spots in there since the gravel vac tube is above the air pocket when the PIK hits it the siphon takes the bad gasses out with it.

Corydoras are scatterers so collecting the eggs is a feat in itself. also depending on where your tank is located will determine if the fronts can mess with it. My tanks are in a basement barred by concrete and tanks we had at work in the center of a 200K sqft building were uneffected by any weather changes.

I have my tank about 12 feet from my window. The room its in is a "sunroom" so there are many windows. I haven't seen an effect on their breeding from this. I thought it would make a difference, but apparently not. :confused: The comb idea is amazing. I would never have thought of something that simple to clean the sand.

Once I get a second tank going, breeding them will be a goal of mine as well. How easy is it to sex the cories? Maybe you have a sausage fest going on in there?

Back
Top Bottom