Breeding feeder shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYgiantsRP

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to start feeding my fish some shrimp, but don't want to have to buy them all the time. I have an extra 10 gallon tank and I was wondering if I could buy some shrimp and have them breed and use them for feeders.

Any shrimp experts that could give me a detailed setup for breeding shrimp. Everything from light, filter, substrate, decor, food, water temp, and special stuff. What kind of shrimp beef the easiest. So on and so forth.

Well I want this to be bare minimum. What do they need to live and breed. Do they need substrate? if not Ill leave it bare. Do they need somewhere to lay there eggs? Plants are absolutely needed?

They don't lay eggs, they carry them until they hatch. Yes, I consider plants a necessity, although they can be kept without them. Plants, substrate, etc, just give the shrimp something to hide in and feed on, since they also eat algae and microorganisms that grow on the surfaces. A well planted shrimp tank will reward you with tons of offspring, thriving plants keep the water quality great for them.

For the bare minimum, sand or gravel substrate. If you pick one plant, jave moss would be ideal. You might think about a few fish to produce plant food. 10 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom