Breeding Florida Flag Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnaelting

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone bred Florida Flag fish. If so, what kind of set-up did you use. I understand they are easy to breed, but this will be my first attempt with egg layers.

Any advice is welcome.

BTW, what do you feed the fry, they will be much smaller than livebearer fry so not sure what to feed.

-Thanks Everyone

I've bred them by accident in an outdoor pond. Can't really tell ya more than that. The pond had hair algae, the parents layed eggs in one of the flowerpots and the babies ate whatever was available in the pond. I would suspect algae. They can be aggressive little fish when spawning.

I want to just find a flagfish! Excuse me hijacking your thread, but where did you get them?

My not so local lfs sells them. There is one who have them all the time so they must have a local breeder supplying them.

that is another fish I have looked for (even at petsmart and they never heard of them)

If I have babies this year I'd be happy to send you some. I'll be digging them out of the pond soon due to cold weather coming. Not sure they spawned this year or not.

I got mine from a local pet/fish store. They had quite a few and they stock them most of the time. I do not think they ship. But Pets Inc in Tempe Az has had a good selection of fish. They had about 20 flag fish when I was there.

i got one in chicago... and PS.. I believe you guys are talking about "American-flag fish"... not a "flag fish". Just clarifying. It isn't a flag fish, the name is "american-flag" like the thing that waves on a pole because of the red and blue stripes on the side, which is totally different than a "flag fish"

I am also trying to breed American-flag fish (aka Jordanella floridae) but have been unsuccessful so far. I have four (2 males and 2 females) in a 10 gallon planted tank. The fish have shown some spawning behavior every once in a while but no eggs have been laid yet.

jcarlilesiu said:
i got one in chicago... and PS.. I believe you guys are talking about "American-flag fish"... not a "flag fish". Just clarifying. It isn't a flag fish, the name is "american-flag" like the thing that waves on a pole because of the red and blue stripes on the side, which is totally different than a "flag fish"

Which is also called the Florida Flag fish, which is the title of the thread. I'm pretty sure we all know that the thread is referring to Jordanella floridae. :?

Back
Top Bottom