Breeding MTS question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I recently got a 10g tank I was planning on using as a QT tank, but realized.. I wont be getting anymore fish for a while. And I know its a good thing to keep just in case a fish gets sick but anyway.

I am setting up my 10g for my MTS to breed like crazy. I was wondering, I currently have about half to one inch of sand, for them to bury in right now. And since I have no fish in there I have been putting in brine shrimp (high protein).

The setup, is just half -1 inch of sand, and a filter. I dont have a heater, but I am planning on getting one (do I need one?) I hear people breed MTS in buckets..

Anyway, my plan was to just get one goldfish to put in the 10g tank. I hear they create a lot of waste and this would really help the MTS grow. Is this true? Is there a better thing to do.

Let me know, thanks!

Paul

I had mine in a tank all by themselves and they reproduced like crazy. dont get a goldfish, wouldnt be fair to it... and mts are sensitive to ammonia. Just throw in some food (shrimp pellets, algae wafers, etc) and let em have at it

Oh ok, I thought they would strive with the waste. Did you have a heater in your tank or just a filter?

You don't really need a heater, but I would put a filter in there. And like he said, just feed wafers, fish food, pellets, etc. :)

Yep, flakes,frozen,pellets,wafers and blanched zuchs! sand is best. I put my sand bucket in my 15g tank today and there were atleast 300 snails that wernt there when I put the sand in there.

I dont use heaters in em, we discussed this earlier. They survive and breed down to atleast 55 degrees.

Sweet!! Because I really didnt want to go buy a heater! So is it just like overfeed the tank? Or.. just feed once a day..

K, I just dont want to underfeed them. I want to possibly sell them so I can buy more stuff for my tank!! Maybe even save up for a bigger tank!! Lets go into the MTS business!

good luck. most people dont buy them since most people can get them for free from lfs or people online. have you thought about some of the other snails that are easy to breed look better and more people want?

Nope, just trying out the MTS for now. Ironically both of my cousins (After seeing my fish tank journal) want to start doing some freshwater planted tanks. So maybe I can just save up the MTS for them.. Since most likely i will MAKE them get sand bottoms :) None of that gravel poopie. Also my grandfather is transferring his saltwater tank to freshwater because he cant afford saltwater anymore. Luckily he only has 2 fish, that have been living in there for 2 years.

I sold over 2k MTS in the past 5 months on ebay and aquabid at 10 a box jsut fine. I ran out actually.

I feed my snails twice a week sometimes once a week if I forget.

Now, you say 10 a box, how many in a box and does that include shipping? Also what was the profit of it?

Now, you say 10 a box, how many in a box and does that include shipping? Also what was the profit of it?

150-300 per box, medium flat rate box, heat pack. that includes shipping and price of heatpack. at 10 a box there really is no profit, maybe up to 50 cents per box.

I used medium flat rates because weight always varied depending if they wanted one bag or two.

It was more of a package deal the MTS were always free, never charged for them it was the shipping and handling and materials that cost the money.

Oh ok, well I guess I can just breed them for my family members since they seem to be all getting into aquatics, since seeing my tank :p.

you will get enough up in due time to offer them outside of your inner circle.

MTS are not availble to everyone and usually 100 goes for a bucks then shipping on top of that from most other places. There will be a point in time where 1 netful out of your tank will be between 100-500 snails and after that 1 scoop it wont even look like you took any out.

I looked in my 52 last night around 1am and there had to be an easy 1000 mts on the glass and glass alone, DW was covered all plants were covered as well as the substrate. I got more then I know what to do with, just catching them is hard in that tank.

Now what type of tank do you have your MTS in, I forget if you told me or not. Is 10 gallon enough?

Back
Top Bottom