Breeding nets are CRAP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had put my pregnant molly into a breeding net where she had a lot of fry. Then as the days went by I noticed the number of fry were decreasing.

The breeding net is there to protect fry from other fish. The fish were still getting them through the net. It is useless. I wouldnt recommend to anybody. Get the plastic one for future. I have 4 left and I have them in a diy plastic breeder net.

So annoyed!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405504263091.jpg
    1405504263091.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 159
Your Molly

I had put my pregnant molly into a breeding net where she had a lot of fry. Then as the days went by I noticed the number of fry were decreasing.

The breeding net is there to protect fry from other fish. The fish were still getting them through the net. It is useless. I wouldnt recommend to anybody. Get the plastic one for future. I have 4 left and I have them in a diy plastic breeder net.

So annoyed!!!

Hello Glen...

You don't need a breeding net or anything else that separates your fish from the rest of the tank.

Livebearers need hiding places, like floating plants. Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort provide privacy for the female and the fry. You just drop as many individual stems of the these plants as possible into the tank.

Adult fish that are hungry will go after the fry. To stop that, you start feeding all the fish a little more and a little more often. Well fed adult fish typically show no interest in the fry.

This is so much easier than stressing the female by putting her in another tank or in some other way separating her from the rest of the fish.

Your decision however.

B

Hello Glen...

You don't need a breeding net or anything else that separates your fish from the rest of the tank.

Livebearers need hiding places, like floating plants. Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort provide privacy for the female and the fry. You just drop as many individual stems of the these plants as possible into the tank.

Adult fish that are hungry will go after the fry. To stop that, you start feeding all the fish a little more and a little more often. Well fed adult fish typically show no interest in the fry.

This is so much easier than stressing the female by putting her in another tank or in some other way separating her from the rest of the fish.

Your decision however.

B

Eh, I feel like a breeding net is much easier. Assuming you don't have extremely large fish and your net is installed correctly (images won't load for me), a breeding net should be used only for the fry, to keep other fish out.

But the bigger fish were still able to suck the fry out and eat them still. So it was pointless

If it hangs on the outside of the aquarium then how would I keep the water warm

If it hangs on the outside of the aquarium then how would I keep the water warm

It pulls your aquarium water through it via an air lift tube. Lemme find my video from when I first got it.

Might invest in this myself

My net worked just fine for my guppies

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looking at the pic from the first post, the holes in the net appear similar to a regular fish net (versus a fry net or brine shrimp net). Meaning, the holes are too big if fish from outside of the breeder net can suck them out. Look for a breeder net with a tighter mesh.
Or go with the HOB option.

Maybe I'm cheap... Either find used panty hose or buy a new one and cut it to fit your breeder box.

Back
Top Bottom