Bristle Nose Pleco or Oto cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What would be better in a 5g tank?

Other inhabitants are 1 dwarf frog, 1 ghost shrimp, (undecided) 1 male or 2 small female betta.

Since adding the CF bulb, I have spots of green algae building up on one wall.
Thanks in advance.

Oto's will fit better as I think BN's will get to big. The problem is you'll need to keep the oto's in a school which will make then not fit in there. Plus, they're hard to keep.

A 5g is a little too small for either. Ottos prefer groups, of atleast 2. They are very sensitive to water quality and its hard to maintain a stable tank the smaller they are.

BN's are very messy. They make alot of waste and get about 5 inches...which would be very cramped in a 5g tank.

I would stick to a snail. They do a pretty good job cleaning the algae off the glass.

hulkamaniac said:
Oto's will fit better as I think BN's will get to big. The problem is you'll need to keep the oto's in a school which will make then not fit in there. Plus, they're hard to keep.

I agree with otos. As small as they stay, you shouldn't have a problem having 2 in a 5G. A BN would work as well, IMO. I've seen them kept in 2.5G with no problems. And yes, they are a poo factory, so you'll need to be on top of maintenanve if you get a BN. My recommendation is either snails or 2 otos, or both..

What about an LDA-08 (Gold Marble Bristlenose)?

I believe they max out at about 3" and don't need to be kept in groups...

Sorry I meant a dwarf bristlenose.

Well I looked into the gold marble - very cute, but not a common fish around here.

I went to the store I got my other dwarf bristle at but just wasn't sure so I left empty handed. I went to another store and found some oto's for 1.79 so I got 2 with really dark tails . The black goes the entire length and thru the tail. Then the tail has some black spots.

I will do a water change before I add them and remove the goldfish who still fits but are getting to big, so I figure I might as well move em before they are cramped.

My snail is Not doing a good job on the algae, or most likely the algae is growing too fast. I also picked up some algae eating shrimp for 2.99 each.

fwiw, I have 2 otos in a 5.5 gallon and they seem pretty happy in there. They keep the algae in check very well, and I give them algae wafers also. I have 3 in my 55 as well. I would definitely say a BN pleco is too big for a 5 gal, unless it was a baby and you were going to move it very soon.

I would say the BN just becaus EI can never keep otos nor SAE alive for very long. They are messy creatures but alage doesn't stand a chance. As for plants, I would stay with elodea or another floating stem plant. I had it in my 2.5 gallon fry tank and it thrived. I would suggest you go with a bare bottom tank also, much easier to keep clean.

If you think you can keep otos alive then they sound like a much better choice and won't mistakenly make a meal out of your shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom