Bristlenose and Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranjith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I'm new here and to aquarium keeping. I have 2 tanks a 10 gallon which got overstocked (noob mistake and thanks to my LFS) and a 50 gallon tank, which is my main now.

My Tank detail and stocking right now.
50 gallon (36x18x18)
6 Tiger Barb
5 Zebra Danio
4 Black Ruby Barb
4 Rosy Barb
1 Odessa Barb

The tank is fully cycled and the fishes live in harmony and fun to watch. I'm planning on getting a bristlenose pleco and rainbow shark. Will this stress out the other fishes or the new ones be picked upon? If they are fine to keep, can i get them together or get the pleco first and then the rainbow shark?

thanks in advance.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice,

I really don't see any issues with adding either one those fish, let us know if you do and maybe post a picture or two. (y)

Last edited:
Having had a rainbow shark, I would advise a 75 gallon minimum for them. Mine ate my school of zebra danios.

Having had a rainbow shark, I would advise a 75 gallon minimum for them. Mine ate my school of zebra danios.

I've had a dozen of them and I can honestly say NONE of them showed the slightest aggression towards tankmates, even at adult size.

Mine was aggressive not only towards the danios, but he had also picked out one blood parrot that he didn't like. He was constantly on her case. I still loved him and was very sad to rehome him. But, in my case, I didn't see how it would work. Glad yours worked out for you.

I have a Rainbow Shark with a Blood Parrot, Angel Fish, and a Bristlenose Pleco. They all get along great and I have no problems with aggression. My Rainbow used to be with guppies and he never bothered them either.

I think this is one of those things were you can try it and see but should have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out.

In may work for someone else but may not work for you. It will come down to the fish you have and what it's like and will tolerate and not tolerate.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I got the rainbow shark and a albino bristlenose (they din't have the regular at that time). They din't have a problem at all settling down and are busy scraping my tank walls. I have a couple of driftwoods and saw the rainbow shark squeezing itself between the driftwood and rock that holds the driftwood down. Should i get a cave like structure for the rainbow shark.. I'll post pictures soon, right now the water is a little brown and i have covered the tank with a uneven meshing, the lid is getting ready.

Also the Odessa is by him/herself, will he/she be okay like that or needs company of its own species.

Thanks again :D

I usually feed my fishes with pellet, micro pellets, brine shrimps, flakes and veggies(peas and spinach once a week). I'll be getting algae wafers soon for the pleco and i hope it will compliment the shark too.

ranjith said:
I usually feed my fishes with pellet, micro pellets, brine shrimps, flakes and veggies(peas and spinach once a week). I'll be getting algae wafers soon for the pleco and i hope it will compliment the shark too.

Get shrimp pellets mine loves them.

You could try. My Rainbow eats
Flakes
Shrimp Pellets
Cucumbers
Bottom Feeder Tablets
Algae Wafers
They also eat algae off of decor
I tried blood worms but he didn't like them.

I would def get some more Odessa as long as you have the room. Yours will certainly feel a lot more comfortable.

Thanks vanimal. I'm feeding my fishes a combination of everything i have :D
I also got 3 more odessa's to keep my guy company :whistle:

Also one more funny thing happened, i couldn't locate my Albino BN and finally found it in my HOB filter after 3 hours.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom